Bank Fishing the Ohio near Cincinnati

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Big Vert, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Big Vert

Big Vert New Member

I don't have a boat, so I have to fish from the bank of the river. I live in Northern Kentucky across from Cincinnati. What is the right rig to use in your opinions? I'm curious as to what type and how heavy a sinker to sling. I use a Carolina rig typically with a 12-24" leader, usually a 7/0 Gamakatsu Octupus circle hook with cut bait or live. What do you think?

2. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Vert,

Right now an ounce is plenty, but when the river is flowing good 6 isn't enough. Also depends on how big your bait is and if its swimming around or not.

I usually fish the river down by the landing, there I use a 3 way with a lightter line on the weight, so when I get hung I occasionally get my hook back.

3. Big Vert

Big Vert New Member

Sounds good. I haven't had much luck lately. Maybe we can hook up sometime when your headed down to the landing.

4. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Vert, where do you find those hooks at??? I've looked everywhere.

5. buckwheatsbowl

buckwheatsbowl New Member

Have you tried fishing out at the boatramp at Steamboat Bend on 52? Theres a county park boat ramp there that you can fish near., lots of bank in the area might have to walk a bit to see what all there is to fish. You cant park on the ramp area, have to park on top of the hill but you can drop your stuff off and walk down. Its located at 9 mile and 52, turn in and turn left and follow the road.

6. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Just wanted to say to the Ohio brothers!! I used to go to school at Mt. St.Joseph in Delhi, OH. Take it easy guys and Good Luck Fishin!!

7. Big Vert

Big Vert New Member

Sorry I missed your post, but I did get my hooks from Catfish Connection along with some flat bank sinkers. I haven't caught anything from the bank yet, been out about 4 times. Never felt like I was getting very deep. Is the fishing better in the afternoon/late evening in the fall than later at night?

8. skippy

skippy New Member

State:
    cincinnati ohio
    Hey Vert I havent had a chance to get down there my-self yet. I would like to though, maybe we could meet up sometime

9. Big Vert

Big Vert New Member

That sounds good. I'm going to struggle to make it out this weekend, but definately the weekend after I'll be able to hit it. I was thinking maybe after work on Friday, or going down on Saturday afternoon and setting up for awhile.

10. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Let us know when and where and maybe we can have a little get together and swap some lies , er, fables, er, well, you know, that big one got away again!

Dave

11. skippy

skippy New Member

State:
    cincinnati ohio
    Sounds good to me, pm me later on and we can arrange it :cool:

12. skippy

skippy New Member

State:
    cincinnati ohio
    when we get it worked out me or vert will let u know

13. seejay

seejay New Member

Anyone tried fishing down there at fernbank park on 50, near saylor Park? Its a pretty good spot! Ive caught quite a bit of channels down there. Is it better fishing now that the weather has cooled off?