Bank fishing the Neuse River in Raleigh?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by tritech, Apr 7, 2007.

1. tritech

tritech New Member

State:
    NC
    [EDIT: DOH WRONG SECTION] mods if you could please move

hey guys, new guy checking in here! i grew up in wilson and am not that familiar with wake county fishing.

i was wondering if anyone bank fishes the neuse in wake county at all? i've been to the canoe launch area off 64 and old milburnie (raleigh beach) a few times recently to no avail. last time i was there the water was REALLY movin' through there as well, i don't think its that deep.

I have tried falls lake around one of the 24 hour boat ramps...no luck there either.

mainly looking for channels but will take anything that bites.:tounge_out: l

should i just keep trying there or any other spots i should check out in the area?

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The canoe launch off 64 has yielded some big flatheads and blues.
    We've pulled a bunch over 30 pounds out of there and more then a few over 40. Fish downriver and upriver from the launch.
    Work a little to get to a spot. You'll find that the easy to get to spots are fished to death and fished often.

3. tritech

tritech New Member

State:
    NC
    Is the current always so strong there? I've only tried at the launch and closer to the dam, never closer to the bridge. The launch there also closes at 11 and last time i was there people were fishing on the other side still when i left, any idea if that was legal?

any other neuse spots to try in the area?

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The current probally isnt as strong now. The river was about normal this week everytime I saw it in Smithfield.
    Get you some no roll sinkers.

the Neuse like the Cape Fear is hard to access for fishing. About your only option is to get a map and access from the bridges that cross it.
    I've personally never had any luck around these bridges as everybody and their half brother fishes at them.
    What we do is park at a bridge and start hiking. Get to a point where no one else bothers to go.
    Its alot of work to catch nice fish from the bank.
    Dont blaze a trail either. Everybody and his half brother will take advantage of your hard work. We are careful not to leave sign of where we have been and how we got there. Nothing that a rain wont wash away anyway.

About that ramp. Unless something has changed we've always parked down at the ramps and stayed until we got ready to leave whatever time that might be.

The best bet for the Neuse is a canoe or kayak. Use the canoe or kayak to go down river to scout out sandbars to fish from. Park the canoe and bank fish.
    Then a canoe is easy to paddle back up river.

Forget a motor of any kind up there in that part of the Neuse. You'll tear up alot more then its worth.
    I personally wouldnt even dunk a jon boat in it until I got below Clayton. Just too many rocks and boulders in the river.

5. Riverfish3r

Riverfish3r New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I should be able to help you out a little more in a few weeks. I just bought a kayak to fish out of the neuse and I am pretty stoked to find new holes. I just need to rig it with a fish finder and rod holders and I will be set.

6. tritech

tritech New Member

State:
    NC
    i've been exploring and found a few holes between milburnie dam and falls dam. most of the river up that ways that ive seen has STEEP banks and snake heaven to get to it. i was out in the woods saturday and saw a dozen moccasins with 300 yards of each other. the canoe idea is sounding better and better.

google earth has been a great tool as well to trace the river and get some ideas.

7. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    That is an interesting area and there are some of the biggest gar in there that I have ever seen. I have seen a few that definately are over the State record. Had one hooked that jumped 2 years ago that was pushing 20 pounds.

As far as the snakes go....if it makes you feel any better....they are not moccasins. So at least you know you are a bit safer...... They are northern water snakes for the most part.....there is a picture of them here:

http://greggofish.com/snakes.html

The shad are getting thick in that area now so the cats ought to be munching pretty soon..... :smile2:

8. tritech

tritech New Member

State:
    NC
    Excellent info Greggofish!

To be honest i try not to stick around to identify one trying to find cover, but that does make it a bit more comforting.

I'll just categorize the as unidentified slithering objects (USO's) :big_smile:

oh and BTW, do you mean the shad are getting thick ABOVE milburnie dam or just below?

9. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    Just below........

Some Hickory and American shad, a few Blueback Herring quite a few decent sized Threadfin's and a blue million giant Gizzard shad.

What cats are around won't be lacking for food....if they can beat the Stripers too it......

10. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    Greggofish i am scared to death of snakes. A friend of mine killed this snake the other day while we were fishing.Is this a cottonmouth?? I dont kill snakes myself lol i just run.

Attached Files:

11. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    Nice sized Northern Snake ..............
    Here are a few pictures of one I ran across and decided to share my bait with. Looks to be about the same size.

http://www.greggofish.com/Northern.html

Looks like it just enjoyed it's last meal.........probably a big frog by the looks of it....could be a fish though.

You are close enough to the Coast to probably have the chance to run across a moccasin.

Better safe than sorry I suppose.......:lol:

12. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks :wink: OMG are u crazy!!! lol that gave me the chills seeing that :crazy:

13. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Good pics Greggo! It's hard to believe that snake laid there while you ran that boat up into the bushes like that. Thanks!

14. tritech

tritech New Member

State:
    NC
    Just got back from 2 hours below the dam and not a single bite on 4 poles with livers, crawlers, or shrimp. couldn't even catch a shad with any jigs :crazy:

15. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    That is a nice snake right there, I had one fall into my boat with me last year. That was a fun day right there. He just felt like going on a boat ride I guess. He wasn't very big only about 2 foot or so. Just a little one compared to some that I have seen on the Cape Fear. I don't know why people are so afaid of snakes. All they are is oversided worms with teeth.