Bank fishing the Missouri...

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by 89Ricky89, Aug 10, 2009.

1. 89Ricky89

89Ricky89 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm looking for general areas to bank fish the Missouri with my son. I haven't been able to find any areas that I can drive to. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is it worth the time to walk through the weeds to fish off of the small wing dams? Good luck to all!

2. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa

Well it depends where you're from.

If you live around the Omaha/Council Bluffs area you can try Wilson Island also NP dodge park has a walking trail that will take you to a few smaller wing dikes.. they were decent to fish last year but to get to the good ones now you have to walk about 20 yards through some 5ft high weeds.

3. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    There are some good spots down here in neb city to bank fish

4. cmblizz96

cmblizz96 Member

State:
    Nebraska
    If you are bank fishing NP Dodge Park down those trails sometimes there are some shady characters, like myself:big_smile:. So just stay aware of who is around you especially after dark.

5. 89Ricky89

89Ricky89 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've fished Wilson Island for 2 days now, 12hrs. overnight both times, and caught nothing. Just seems like it's nothing but a sandy/mud flat that is very shallow along the banks. I'll keep searching! Good luck to all!

6. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    Thanks for that ricky, I was going to make the drive up there tonight, glad I checked here first.

Anyway I tried the Boyer Chute refuge, was using whole raw shrimp on a 6/0 circle hook, didnt get anything, we were fishing the north mouth of the chute,

It has to be DEEP in that north end because you can throw a line out 30 yards and it sinks down and hangs off the dropoff 5 feet from the bank..

7. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    if you want to travel,there is some good spots up in sioux city,buit if you come all the way up here just as well fish the big sioux,the bite is faster

8. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    usually there is decent fishing in the Chute, a friend of mine hooked onto a 60lb+ flathead last year, about once a month I hear someone caught a monster.. I must be doing it wrong haha :tounge_out:.. Bank fishing is really non existent here anymore, its kinda depressing but thats why I'm getting a boat next year..

9. 89Ricky89

89Ricky89 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've heard good things about the chute, but don't know how to get there. Anyone have directions for me? I fish with live chubs, bluegills, greensunfish, and also cut bait. Thanks.

10. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    Ricky, If you come into omaha from the Mormon bridge get off at the first exit, nearly immediatley after the bridge ends, it will be the 30th st. exit, make a left on this exit so you will be heading south, you will come to the first set of lights which is Mckinley I believe, make another left until you come to pershing drive, you will be right next to the bridge now and will see that you can only make a right or left, take the left and you're on Pershing drive, just fallow that all the way past NP dodge/Hummel Park and there will be a turn ahead where you can make a left, keep going straight up the hill.. then you will pass surfside club's restraunt entrance.. then fallow the road through the twists and turns be sure to stay on the pavement, dont exit onto any gravel roads.. eventually you will come to like a mile or 2 straightaway and there will be another T intersection at the end of it, make a right and you'll be right there!

11. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    How'd everyone do tonight/morning?

We tried Tyson Island WMA east of Modale IA tonight, my gf caught a 2ft sturgeon and I caught a small drum, had a couple bites on the shrimp though so I was happy I'm on the right track haha.