Bank Fishing the Missouri River?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Rottdog, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Rottdog

Rottdog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello everyone,
    I was just curious I got into a post the other day and a couple of guys were saying that KC was not a safe place to fish the river and they went back and forth, anyway I was just wandering if anyone could tell me what's dangerous and any recomendations on a good spot to Bank Fish the Missouri from the Kansas City Area?

Thank you all for your responses.
    Garrett

2. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Garrett, I got into the same post two or three days ago. I read the entire thing from front to back and was really disappointed in all of the bickering and sniping that went on. I have only been on the Missouri around in a boat. However, my son bank fishes around Parkville and Riverside and as far as I know has never had any problems. As a personal choice, I probably would not bank fish in the downtown area. I think that you just need to be alert and check out the area before making a decision to fish at any given location, not just around KC.

3. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Garrett

I have run the river and never had a problem. The one time I did have someone sneek up on me was a little uncomfortable. It was 2:00 A.M. and I noticed a boat in the channel idling with no lights on. It turned and came dirrectly at the back of my boat that was on a sand bar and never did turn its lights on. As the boat beached next to myne not twenty feet away I reached for my peace keeper. Both the guys I could tell were wearing dark cloths. As the first guy steped out of the boat he said "conservation officer". As for bank fishing try under the 92 bridge at Leavenworth, Parkville, Riverside, under the 291 bridge and just east of Missouri City on 210. I think the Missouri City site is called "Cooley". I would stay out of Downtown at night.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    The area around Cooley Lake would probably be pretty good for bank fishing -- it's remote enough that your casual stoners, drug addicts, child molesters and rapists aren't likely to be there. Plus there's plenty of good spots to fish from. I see folks bank fishing there quite a bit.

La Benite park (where 291 crosses the river) might not be bad, but I've heard there tend to be a lot of very friendly men sitting in cars around there. The Sugar Creek police department patrols the area regularly though and I doubt you'd be bothered unless you had a rainbow bumper sticker...

I launch from La Benite most of the time and have taken the boat out at night alone a couple of times and I'm always at DEFCON 4 when I pull up to the ramp, never knowing who might be there. So far, there's been no trouble from anyone. But that could change and ruin a perfectly good evening.

You couldn't pay me to bank fish any closer to the city - certainly not at Kaw Point or Riverfront Park, though I'd choose Kaw Point over Riverfront any time if I had to.

5. bclumsky

bclumsky New Member

State:
    kansas city
    I fish from the banks of the kaw alone all the time and never had a problem,
    i see the bums out and just try to stay far enough away so they dont know im
    there.

6. CatfishRoger

CatfishRoger New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fishing the down town area around the Heart of America bridge during the day is not all that bad. Just be careful who you talk to:big_smile:

7. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    I would aviod the downtown areas. My brother and I had one encounter with a homeless guy near the city while we were fishing from a dike. We saw the man sneaking up the bank and my brother yelled "we can see you" and held the spot light on him. He sat down and just starred at us for an hour and didnot move. Lucky he couldnt get to us cause the dike had a large flowthrough at the bank. A buddy also ran into a homeless man upstream from Parkville, my buddy gave him some beer, and left.

8. stressedcat

stressedcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    Garrett:

Welcome to the BOC, it's a great place with great people. Now everybody don't go postal after this next comment, but every time I go fishing because of the threat of spiders and snakes either crawling or walking I always have an 18inch machete stuck in the ground right beside my chair on the side where anybody could walk up on me. I use it to clear brush and small limbs that hamper my casting, and with a 4x4 about 16 inches long, I carry in the back of my truck, it will take the head off a channel cat with one quick chop. All the fishers that I have been around are great people and very helpful, but for the very rare case that they are up to no good, well they just never know what that big blade is for:wink: and I ain't telling til they ask. It's a sad day when decent people can't fish in peace.

Great luck on your fishing and hopefully you won't have to have your head on a swivel just to enjoy fishing.

Kirk

9. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have not read that post of bank fishing on the MO. But here is what I know.

Riverside park from what some of the members have said is a good spot to fish. Gary and Geoff have caught blues in the 60's from that spot but you have to get a free park permit to park in the park after night or the cops will probably harass you. And the spot they fish from is about a mile hike.

Parkville park is very nice with alot of lights and the two or three times I have been there there was families out playing in the park. One of the times I was out there Gary got a 17lb blue. I have not been back there for about a year so I don't know how it is like now but it was very nice.

Le Benite park is a rough area. My dad and I have been there three or four times. There have been people bank fishing there two of the times we was there. And yes from what I have read it is a Rainbow friendly area and the police are trying to clean it up. At this place we have only one "run in" with a drunk guy yelling stuff at someone. Then he started talking very nice with us for about an hour or more. But I would go back.

And yes I too have a 12" to 18" machete for clearing brush mainly. (If need be to protect myself and it sits beside my chair) In Le Benite and most other places in the KC area you just have to keep one eye on the poles and the other on what/who is around you.

I have not been to Missouri City "Cooley" area yet but my dad and I plan on going. As soon as I get a job my fishing will pick back up. (I hate getting layed off at the beginning of the year)

Anyways I hope this helps you. If you are looking for someone to bank fish with you at Le Benite then I am sure my dad and/or I will be willing to go with you. My dad wants to take someone from his work up there and I really want to go with him. Hopefully this year I get break my personal record.

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Some times people are just scared of the dark and the not knowing. Buy a boat because everyone knows nothing happens to people in a boat!

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    While out on the river last Sunday in the KC area, I noticed probably a dozen or so shanties in the woods next to the river, just upstream from Riverfront Park and some on the north side of the river near the Chouteau bridge. Also saw a couple of residents gathering water (for cooking I guess?) right out of the river.

Once the trees leaf out, you may not notice all the places those folks are living, but they're still there. You could easily be fishing right in the middle of them and not know it.

And yeah, I'm sure most of them are harmless, but I'd still use an extra bit of caution in that area, no matter whether bank fishing or anchoring on a dike or sandbar.

Drugs, alcohol and being dealt a poor hand in life are a bad combination, especially when there's an easy target in the area.

Don't be a target.

12. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I feel you guys, after our run in with dummies wanting to chuck rocks I always watch my back.

13. pitmaster

pitmaster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    A fantastic place to fish the Mo. river is just east of KCMO at Fort Osage which is on Hwy. 24. Go to the first left turn you can make past the fort itself, follow the gravel road down 3 miles and you will be there. The fishing is fantastic. Take your gun with plenty of snake shot.

14. Fishinfred

Fishinfred New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think if you would just take your Rott dog with you, you wouldn't have much to worry about at all :)