Bank fishing the big lakes

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by olpie4uk, Mar 6, 2009.

1. olpie4uk

olpie4uk New Member

State:
    Hopkinsville,Kentucky
    Hello,
    Due to a schedule change at my job,it looks like I will have some time to do some fishing this year. I haven't been very often in the last fifteen years due to an overloaded schedule.
    My first love is catfish, however I have not been very successful at it in my later years. I used to catch some when I was younger. Maybe I was just lucky! Anyway I need some advise. How soon can I expect the catfish to start biting on Barkley and Kenlake this year and what bait should I use? Has anyone ever fished the tributaries for cats, such as Little River or Muddy Forks? If so,what time of year is best for the rivers? One last question-Is there a certain time of year that I should switch to night fishing as opposed to morning or afternoon fishing?
    Thank you so much for your time and I look forward to your replies!

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Anytime you can go is a good time to go fishing. I prefer very early mornings and all nighters....the cats are biting now and its gonna just get better. We use several different baits depending on what cats we are targeting. For Flatheads I prefer live baits such as bluegills and bullhead catfish. For blues and channelcats....I use cut baits such as skipjacks, shad, bluegill heads. I dont fish the tributaries at all. I fish the main lakes in deep holes where ever I can find them.

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Oh yeah...I almost forgot....welcome to the BOC from Cadiz!!!

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Mark
    Welcome to the BOC
    I would consider John Young an expert in that area. There is a lot of info here on the BOC So enjoy the site and Good fishing.

5. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Welcome to the site !!!!!:wink:

6. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC from Texas

7. 10POUNDER

10POUNDER New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey , Im fairly new myself to the site But Welcome to the BOC This is the best site with some of the best people you could get advise from! But I fish Kentucky Lake and Barkley here and there . But I do catfish alot . If you are bank fishing for some action . I would go out and buy a cast net and get you some shad or just blugill fish the few hours before catfishing or at the same time ! And stop at a Meijers and get some chicken liver. (just incase ) And you should be set , try and fish around cover look for some stumps coming out of the water ! You dont have to fish on these stumps but pretty close! Try and put baits at dif. depths. You should find some cats ....Good Luck :roll_eyes:

8. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Welcome to the boc.