Bank fishing Shelbyville

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by littleman, Oct 7, 2008.

1. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Does anyone know of a good bank fishing spot at Shelbyville for this time of year?

2. capnmac59

capnmac59 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i would try the west side of bo wood acssess area. go west to the end past boat ramp and there is a picnic area there down the bank to the west and straight out from there. used to catch a lot of cat with my dad from there. hope that helps

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Below the spillway is a descent place also if you have never fished there...... In front of the dam on lake is all rip/rap rock not bad spot.

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like fishing above the dam. there's a few nice fingers with rip rap all along them on the west side, i think it is. it's close to deep water, so you can fish at multiple depths to find them. find some creek chubs to take with you...

5. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks, this really helps me out. I've only fished shelbyville a few times. Its hard finding the fish or a place to fish in an area your not familiar with.

6. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I went to Shelbyville this past Friday and caught several cats at bo woods. Most of the roads around the lake and the dam were closed. Are the roads closed for the season? If so, is there another way to get above the dam?

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Hmmm, no idea why they are closed off LM, have not been that way for a few weeks myself, but it is hard telling maybe working above the dam area again, I'm sure someone has been that way and would know why.... Good to hear ya caught some fish at Bo.....

8. Laker2

Laker2 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Road over dam was closed for dam maintenance. they are open now c'mon back. The cats should be biting good.

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    screw fishing shelbyvill till next year the water levals are messed up are you talking flatheads or channel i would recomend the dam if its not rushing

10. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I prefer to catch flats, but have not done very well catching them at shelbyville. I normally fish the Wabash, but all my spots have been taken over with hoop nets and trotlines. And the overall fishing in that area has went downhill. I'm not use to bank fishing and have been trying to find a few good places. I went to the spillway last night and did really well with the channels.

11. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    yea i agree with the water level thing,to be honest i will be fishing nothing but power plants this winter,man last winter dan and i slammed flat heads,caught a couple at sang and caught 5 flat head at coffeen and that was from november-til the end of dec,with the water levels up so high,and its getting cold,but i will still fish reg lakes but you just got to fish them with like liver little shad,at power plants i use live bluegill,or the head of the bluegill,its on this winter.we caught 4or5 nice striper from coffeen as well from18-25 pounds,they were caught on blugill .if yall start catching them in when the water gets cold let me know.

12. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I'd bet a call to the fella in the green truck would at the least get them hoops removed........

13. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Not this winter, all them Striper and flats left to better grounds :smile2: :smile2: :wink::wink:

14. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    lol brother this is the only time i hope yore not right:smile2:

15. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I thought hoop nets were legal as long as they have a commercial fishing licence?

16. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    They are, until they stop running them like they are to do, which seems to happen quite a bit.....