BANK FISHING SECRETS!!!

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by JoeDaCatKing, Sep 26, 2009.

1. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    I figured I would try and get some of these secrets so people can have more success from the bank. My best advice from the bank is to stick close to feeder creeks after a good rain or in general.

2. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    mine would be go where no one has fished. if you fish in a well known area you could be losing out on the best fishing which could just a 100 yards away.

3. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    i do the same esp. after a good rain. when im by wing dykes or i know there is a deep hole i wont cast very far out at night. just give it a lil plop in the water not even 10 feet out sometimes.they will move shallow to feed at night so between tha shallow and that creek chances are something is gonna hit.

4. Sound

Sound New Member

State:
    Arkadelphi
    When I go bank fishing I try and take a variety of baits with me to use. I try to take at least 3 different baits with me and have taken as much as 6 to new spots. Skips is my go to bait, and almost always carry skips and cut gills. Having to fish in one spot and not being able to move around it does help to try different baits. I have fished places that the only fish I caught has been on something else like shrimp, crawfish and dip baits. But when I fish its all night so have plenty of time to try different baits.

5. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    Some catfish , are not that far from the shore. Don't over cast them. Fish one rod close and one rod far. Sometimes they will be almost at your feet.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  6. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Catfish arent always caught on the bottom. Try fishing different depths with a cork or bobber til you find them.

7. festus

festus New Member

I have my best luck bank fishing during the winter around the warmer water at the discharge of steam plants. In the spring, I have good luck below dams, especially when they're generating. Other good spots are around culverts with current and rip rap. If I'm fishing near trees, I use short rods, it makes casting much easier. If I'm out in the open I use longer rods because they cast better.

One of my favorite bank fishing holes has a culvert that runs under a paved road. I like it because if the wind is really cutting up and making fishing difficult, I can go to the other side of the road and the water will be much calmer.

8. festus

festus New Member

I forgot one more thing, I like to fish around bridge pilings. There's one spot in particular right on the edge of a city park. For some reason I've never seen anyone else fish there.

9. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    1-Bring a buddy if you can.

2-If you fish rivers bring plenty of hooks, weights and bait so you dont have to leave early or leave to go get more.

3-Bring a variety of baits (I just use live and cut Gills and Shad if Im fishing for Citations and 5 different baits or more if Im fishing for eaters)

4-Bring a chair to be comfortable

5-Bring Rod Holders and Bells/clickers, I have watched too many friends lose rods to Cats and not even really big ones. A few of my rods have gone into the rivers but im not afraid to run into water up to my knees and get mine lol. Luckily my bells and rod holder slowed them down long enough for me to get the rod everytime knock on wood

6- get a little cooler/bait bag, when its hot or cold it helps to keep you out longer when you can eat and drink.

7- keep a poncho/rain coat for the rain and warm/dry gear for the winter months.

Lastly like I said keep lots of equipment. My backpack is full from top to bottom, I can always take a 2 hour or 24 hour trip. Some people cant carry as much but so far it hasnt been too much for me, heck sometimes I wish I had more stuff lol

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  10. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "7- keep a poncho/rain coat for the rain and warm/dry gear for the winter months."

I keep a jumbo lawn and leaf plastic bag in my pack at all times for those unexpected showers. And chilly winds too, it's not much but will cut the wind. You can tote two (one for your buddy who will not have one) and take up very little space/weight.

Toilet paper!! It makes you the most popular person on the bank when it's time for someone to "go".

Small radio, aside from the obvious, on "am" it makes a whiz-bag lighting detector!

Use google earth, or similar, to do your preliminary scouting.

Before hand, lay out everything you might want, then hack and slash to the minimum you need, then add back one or two extras for comfort. Carrying it down is easy, carrying it back up sucks.

Trash, If you can't burn it,, pack it out! Even if it is not yours!

11. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    Thats a good one danzig DONT TRASH YOUR SPOTS

12. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Take some time to try to understand what the primary baitfish is in the particular body of water that you are fishing. Utilize your Department of Natural Resources, Fish Commission, or whatever organization gets the revenue from fishing license sales. Part of their job is to ensure that you have the information needed to help you to succeed as an angler. That way you will hopefully continue buying a fishing license and thus continue generating income for that state agency.

Ray

13. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    move around, if i don't get anything in a couple hours i move. even if its 100 yards. that could be the difference between a skunked nite or a good nite.

14. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,ve been fishing the bank for a lot of years now.Had boats and fished from them too.To me,it still boils down to the same thing-Know your water!Try and find the holes the other guys are overlooking.Gotta fish a little smarter from the bank,it aint as easy to pick up and move.I try and follow the fish,have different holes lined up for different times of the year or changing river conditions.One thing I haven,t seen mentioned yet is to give your fellow fishermen their room.Do a little scouting over the winter.The busiest,easiest access spots aint usually the best fishing spots,find out what,s under the water and keep it in your head.I like finding holes where others aint looking.:wink:

15. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That's the way i've noticed it here, I fished this one spot for a LONG time and no catches.. then go down in the park sector and my buddy finds that it produces tons of eaters. So certain areas hold more fish. You can listen to talk about great areas but you never know till you actually fish them.

16. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    This is very true. I have caught all my fish this year 20' or less from the bank, a majority 10" or less.

17. festus

festus New Member

One of my best bank fishing holes is VERY difficult and dangerous to get down to. You park next to the road and take a very steep bank with boulders. I usually take a rope and tie it to a tree to make it easier to get back up. This location is only good when the lake water is down during the fall-early spring. There's a couple of stumps, lots of underwater boulders plus we sunk some apple tree branches and a stake bed in there. I generally fish with 3 rods, one with a minnow or a chub under a floater, another with a nightcrawler or cut bait on the bottom, and another to throw artificals occasionally. On a good day, I'll catch several different species including catfish, bass, crappie, and bluegill.

18. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Fella's thanks for all th insight.

I'd like to add just have fun.

19. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Oh yeah dont forget a Camera to CPR the bigguns and share your trip with your BOC Brothers :wink:

20. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Don't go alone at night!!
    If you must , go armed!!