Bank fishing on the Ohio River

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Corndawg, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Corndawg

Corndawg New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When I was a kid there were many places to bank fish at night. Now its very hard to even find a place. I live in Boone county KY. and I am looking for some spots to fish, or people to fish with.

2. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    ITS SURE NOT LIKE IT USED TO BE !!!!!!!!!!!:confused2:

3. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    James:

When were you planning to go out on the Ohio? I may be coming down on Saturday, March 8th. I ususally fish near Newport, KY on the moiuth of the Licking River. Let me know.

Andy

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The Ohio river is really hard to bank fish. I would try to find some type of back water or small stream inlet and concentrate on those areas. If there is a place where you can get to an outside bend that would work well, but experience tells me that most of those have pretty high banks (cliffs word be a better word) so they are not that accessable.

5. bigfisher4life

bigfisher4life New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well i fish the Ohio quite
    frequently. im only 19 but ive been fishin it for about 8 years now. the best place for me is below the mcalpine locks... if u have a cast net and the water levels are just right, then theres no reason why u cant catch tons and tons of ur own life bait. personally i usually catch about 30-40 gizzard shad in about 3-4 throws of my net. but u must be careful when throwing the net and not throw in the wrong places or u may be buying a ew net the next day (because the rocks). but after ive got my life bait ill throw out about 4 poles just of the side of a channel so i can try to catch those blues feeding for thos smaller baitfish drifting down the current.on 2 of my poles ill throw a shad fillet on, then on the other 2 ill throw on a head, then set my bait clicker and set back and wait. my biggest ever caught on the bank so far was a 40lb blue on a small fillet. everything we catch on our fillets usually range from 10lbs-30lbs beleive it or not!!! i caught my biggest on a 7ft ugly stick with an ambassaduer 6500 with 20lbs cajun line.hope this helps

6. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    The best places to bank fish I’ve found, is at creek mouths and at the end of barge fleets.
    There are usual clearings there and have had good luck in those places.:big_smile:

7. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    if you are willing to brave the cold then you are more willing than i. good luck

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    James, welcome to the B.O.C., best catfishing community on the planet

9. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I bank fish the ohio river down here in Catlettsburg. But up in where you live I never fished up there.