Bank fishing on Mississippi river

Discussion in 'MISSISSIPPI RIVERS TALK' started by catdaddy007, Mar 18, 2007.

1. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I've tried to fish from the bank at the Mississippi river but stayed hung up the whole time. I fished under the bridge at Lake Village. Can anyone tell me of a place to fish from the bank where I won't stay hung up?

2. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    if you go to greenville, there is a place called warfield rv park.. im not sure if u can just go in but it goes to this sandy bank right where lake ferguson comes out.. i used to fish there alot and caught 2 big fish there and lots of others

3. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    if you go to greenville, there is a place called warfield rv park.. im not sure if u can just go in but it goes to this sandy bank right where lake ferguson comes out.. i used to fish there alot and caught 2 big fish there and lots of others

4. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    Thanks Chris, I'll have to give that place a try.

5. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    On Warfield park, if you drive around the park to down at the south end of the park's river front property, there's a rock point down there. I've never seen anyone bank fish it. I've anchored there a few times and caught an 18 pound blue anchored on that point. We might as well have been ON the bank. Watch out for snakes! Never seen any, but usually when I pull in there, I'm trying to catch bait, and don't focus on the rocks very much. Theres a good hole behind the point, and deep swift water within easy cast distance. I'd guess 12 oz of weight would be a good starting point for straight out from the bank.
    I've also seen a few people do good on the little sandbar Chris mentioned. Know of 1 big flathead that came off of it, I think.
    South of the park a a quarter mile or so from that point, is a chute. You can see it from that point of rocks. That chute is warm water discharge from MP&L. The water is warm if there is smoke coming outta the stack. And this chute is where I often catch bait, so please understand if I pull in there and you're on that point. I NEED bait!!:0a31:
    I have no idea who owns that land, or how you go about getting permission to fish it. I do know there are some people who fish it on a regular basis. That's about all I know about around here. Most access points are private land now, and being a landowner myself, I try to respect their properties. Unfortunately, that means there's a lot less public access to the river around here!
    Hope this helps! Are from around Lake Village? I fish a lot in the summer. Going tomorrow, as a matter of fact. Send me a pm and we'll meet for a trip sometime! 9 times out of 10, it's me, the dog, and a cooler of cool, refreshing beverages, so fishermen who are willing to split gas and BYOB are always :0a25:

6. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I fish the Greenville area also. Usually alone. I'd be willing to help out on the same basis as dudlbugr mentioned. I fish a good bit in the summer so give a shout if you'd like to hook up.

As for fishing at Warfield, there are signs along the perimeter that say no admittance beyond this point--going down the river bank. I see a lot of people fishing there on the bank though and have not heard of anyone getting in any trouble. The MPL discharge is also accesible from land but as mentioned above, you have to go across property that may not be public.

I've caught several fish at the rock point with a couple in the 20s. Lots of smaller fish and even some skipjack. It is normal to get hung in the rocks on any given cast. I figure that I'll break off about 50% of the time. It comes with the territory.

I wouldn't mind doing some nighttime bank fishing under the bridge some time. I've never fished there but have always thought that those points look good. I've fished just south of the bridge when grain barges are being loaded and caught nice messes of fish. Nothing bigger than low 20s though.

7. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    Thanks guys for the info.It's probably going to be a little while before I get any real fishin time off from work.I'm on call every other weekend and that week.I'm from Crossett Ar,about an hour away from Lake Village.Hopefully before the summer is over I'll have the time.

8. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Any time Todd. I'd be willing to launch under the bridge and make an afternoon/evening trip one day as well. If you get the itch, just give a shout.

9. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    oh yea, when i went fishing at that sandbar at about 7 in the morning 2 summers ago,there was skip jack just jumpin all around in shallow water in front of me.so i guess you could say that the spot i was talking about is good for bait and catching catfish... the only problem i know of is that when the water was low in lake ferguson, they were dredging right were the lake comes out into the river and i think that may have filled that place up and when i was pulling in from like 20 ft away it was only about 15 feet.but this was after i caught those 2 big fish,but as of today it still is an alright spot.

10. droptines

droptines New Member

go fish or dudlbugr,i would like to come up sometime soon and try to catch some skips with you guys if youll have me.:big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

11. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS

Drop,

You are welcome in my boat any time. I tried for skips last Saturday and didn't get a bite. I fished with jigs for about 45 minutes, with a ratLtrap for about 15 minutes, and a small crankbait for about 15 min. Nada...:crazy: I'll post when they start hitting. Come on up and get some!

12. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    Do any of you know where a good place to bank fish near Cape Gerardo?

13. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    You might get more answers if you asked in the Missouri section instead of the Mississippi section. LOL

Sorry about that, couldn't resist. We have several members who live near Cape, so if you asked there, they might be able to help ya. I'm a bit north of there, in Arnold and several of us from here, Festus, Desoto and such, fish out of either Platin Creek or Truman Access near Bloomsdale.

We now return you folks down in the great state of Mississippi to your regular programing. LOL

14. droptines

droptines New Member

sounds like a plan go fish.just let me know.

15. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    you can go to www.lmrcc.org ad click on mississippi river public access maps and find boat ramps on the river around you. maybe you can fish around them but i dont know

16. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Hey thanks for the infro Chris:smile2:

17. catfishman38663

catfishman38663 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    hey gofish how are you it's been awhile sench i came down and fish with you i have to again real soon i tried to call you last week but didn't get you i don't no if i still have the right number or not but looking forward to seeing you again if you are at the pickwick gathering

18. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Hey Roger! How you been? I'm not sure what number you have for me but my cell number is 662 822 3628. Give me a shout some time.

I don't believe I'll be at the Pickwick gathering. I'd love to go but I just don't think it's going to happen.

When you gonna come down and fish with me again? It's a little early yet but the action will be picking up soon. I'll be glad when the water drops about 20 feet and warms up about 20 degrees!

19. catfishman38663

catfishman38663 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    hey good to hear from you again my new number is 662-882-9338 or 662-882-9339 i went to alabama last weeken had a little luck not good but i'm ready to come back again soon after this month give me a shout let me no when you can go and me and a friend of mine will come on down and we will go would love that my friend wayne is wanting to join the boc i'm trying to get him hooked i think he will like it i'll call you later tonight thanks (roger)

20. Albert7

Albert7 New Member

State:
    Chster,Illinois.
    Catdaddy...try using a planer board!
    Albert.