Bank Fishing- -Lights

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bilyjojimbob, Jan 28, 2007.

1. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have a droplight swich with a 12 volt bulb straped to a wooden rod to put in the rod holder on the dock we fish. It puts out enough light to see the whole dock. I put it up far enough on the pole so it wouldnt get in your eyes when your looking down the dock at your poles. I got a long enough cord on it to reach to the end of the doc to the truck. I usually crank it up about every hour or so to keep the battery in my truck up. And i always carry my jumper box in case i forget. Neccesity is the mother of all invention i guess. I got the idea from a friend of mine(thanks catfish) who has taught me how to fish the river. Mine is a little different than his. I also try to get it over the water to attract bait to my location. I was just wandering what other clever ideas the rest of the bank fisherman have come up with to solve the problems that comes with having your truck instead of your boat.

2. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    that's sound great idea, last summer I used 2,000,000 cp flashlight as rechargeable. That really power light as bright in night!

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    LOL, Guys you keep lighting up the bank and driving those BIG fish over to me in the dark and quiet.

4. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Glow sticks on the rods and a headlamp.

:cool2:

5. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have to agree with baitkiller.

6. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    my catch rate went way up when I switched from lanterns and campfires to glowsticks, small bells, and a headlamp. Seems to me(this is just my opinion) that the bright lights in the middle of the night would be a little out of the ordinary for the fish and the smart ones(aka=the big ones) would stay away, knowing that something is not right. Correct me if Im wrong.

7. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i thought the lights would bring in bait so big fish will follow

8. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i try 2 fish with no light if i can

9. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    well i do have a rechargeable spotlight, headlamps, glowsticks, and every thing else i could get, but those were all bought. i use these mostly for boat fishing but when we are on the dock i like to have a light to at least see where the end of the dock is without running my headlamp down. i just like to see and hear about some of the things that everyone has made out of stuff they had lying around to make their fishing easier. stuff like pole holders on the front of your truck or an old spotlight hooked to your jumper box.

10. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks GMC, thats what were thinking.

11. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    ive thought about what you said bigmac but not at our doc. were there every fri. and sat. night with the light on. we caught some nice fish with it on. the one reason i really like it is because the baitfish are always popping the water in front of the doc in summer. they know well be ther. the big cats know they will be there too. thanks for your input though.

12. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If the light is left on a lot, then I think predator fish get used to it and hunt the baitfish. If its only on once and a while, it may work in the opposite way and the predator fish will be leary of it.

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    thats telling them right:wink:

14. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I think it depends on where you are fishing. One of my best flathead areas is right next to a campground, there are lights on all night long around there. My lantern light don't seem to bother the flatheads at all there. Now a couple other places I fish are off the beaten path and too much light does seem to affect the fishing.
    As to how we light up the area, it's either with colman gas lanterns or my son has a power inverter on his truck and we sometimes use a 110 volt work light with it.

15. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    we use 2-12v drop lights on 8' rods connected to battery. then we hang lanterns off bank edge almost on the water. we catch nice fish around those and always have good shad in area. lately we have caught crappie there and few cats but in summer that will change.

16. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    The darker it is the better.If you let a big cat see a light and he has not seen it before he is gone.If the area you are fishing has lights like a dock or campground,dont give them more light because there is light present.They are use the amount that is present,maybe a shadow would look different to them where light is on the water.You wear camo to hide when hunting and quite so they don't hear you.Same thing when fishing at night if they don't know you are there,the better your chances of getting lucky,and catching a big one.

17. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    I have an idea for fishing lights but need help with details for L E D's

Ruben