Bank Fishing Lake Marion in South Carolina

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bubbasmouse, May 14, 2006.

1. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    Are there any good places for public bank fishing on Lake Marion? Do they still allow fishing from the old 301 bridge? I have not been to Santee in about 7 or 8 years and am getting my ducks in a row to buy a boat this winter but would like to go for a day and just fish from the bank. Thanks Ron

2. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    i dont know if ur familiar with Wilson's landing by harrys, but there is some good catfishing from the bank there. Big shellcracker too.

3. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Thanks for the reply. I've never been to Wilson's mgiht go check it out. Does the Santee State park have a public fishing area ? Thx

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Yes the state park has fishing access. Pier fishing is much safer than bank fishing at night because of the gators and snakes. The gators may not bite ya but they will cause ya to crap yourself.

5. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    I'm planning on going to Harry's fish camp and try my luck there. Got a room there for tuesday night. Is there any fishing from bank below the dams?

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Ron, there is some bank fishing below the dam on lake marion. Just follow the highway a couple miles from Harry's up to the dam. There is a boat landing there with bank fishing up to a cable a couple hundred yards upstream. The river is shallow there, but the fishing can be pretty good, especially at night.
    There are also several small piers at Harry's that produce pretty good at times, again, especially at night.

7. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Thank you for the reply. I thought there was a dam with bank access but was not sure where. The wife and I are going to give it a try. I have not fished Santee in 7 or 8 years, but ready to go back. I'll let everyone know if we catch any fish. What baits will they have in the bait shops this time of year? Is it too late to get blue herring? Thanks Ron

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I wasn't thinking, but you can fish from the dike along the lake, north of Harry's. I haven't done it since I was a kid, and I'm not sure how hard it would be to land fish from the dike without hanging on the riprap. Some folks also fish from the bank along the diversion canal, but I really don't know where the access points are.

9. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Before the killer storm set in Sat. afternoon, I saw one guy catch a 43 lb. flathead off the dock at Canal Lakes and a lady on the bank just down from the rest. (not more than 300 yards) caught another flathead that was at least 60 lbs. plus.........guess i should have been fishing from the bank !!! We done ok fishing friday night out on Marion, had one blue about 30 lbs. and five smaller ones, but sat. night was a washout with that storm. Gonna try it again this coming weekend.

10. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    I had thought about going to Canal Lakes called them and they said they had good fishing from their docks. Thoses were good catches you saw. Thanks for all the replys.

11. JustCats

JustCats Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hi, have been reading the posts here. I am from NC, where is Canal Lakes and would appreciate any info or contact info. Thanks Tony

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Canal Lakes is right on the canal next to the bridge.I'm not doubting there word about fishing from their docks but I have to tell you the boat traffic is high particularly on a holiday week end.At night it might be a little better.There are some spots on the banks there but they are bloff type banks and I have often wondered how folks get to their fish.Go to the SC lakes/reservoir forum and you should find plenty of info.:smile2:

13. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Went to Harry's Fish camp Tuesday and fished tuesday night and wednesday morning. The wife and I caught 4 big enough to keep with the biggest going about 4 lbs. We used cut herring, perch and some frozen shrimp I had left over from a beach trip. We caught lots of perch bottom fishing with redworms. A guy bank fishing below us caught a 20+ lbs flathead wednesday morning around 9 am. A group came in wednesday morning to clean fish there that had 180 catfish all of them were small didn't see any over 3lbs, I don't know if they were caught on rods or trotlines. The water was very clear. Went to Wilson's landing on the river. The water level was real low and water real clear could see the bottom all the way across the river. We didn't catch many or any big ones but had a great time and will try to go back again next month.

14. Chris54WVa

Chris54WVa New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    If you would like to bank fish below Canel Lake Resort,go across the bridge and make the first right hand turn down the road there,go all the way to the end of a rough road and you have several hundred yard of space there to fish.Get there early if you want a spot.Oh it fills up fast on the weekends.Take plenty of heavy sinkers and lots of herring and other baits.Cast out as far as you can to,toward the middle.I have had some great times there in the early 90's,before I got a boat. Well I hope that I've helped some.All I can say now is go get'em,their there.:lol: :smile2:

15. Chris54WVa

Chris54WVa New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thats where those guys caught all those small fish at ,was the river.They are stacked up there this time of year ,until about Sept. They call them liver fish.1000's of them all over.