Bank fishing - Lafayette Area

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Buzwa, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Buzwa

Buzwa New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I know about Spanish Lake, but are there any other bank fishing places in the Lafayette area for catfishing? I am new in town, don't have access to a boat anymore and need to do some catfishing!

2. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Hey man, welcome to the BOC. First off the catfishing in the vermilion is not too good. There are some big ones in there, but they are far and few between, and not good to eat, as the river is way too polluted. But if you want to get out there, there is Rotary Point off of West Bayou Pkwy. There is also beaver park across from the airport off of HWY90 I am 90% sure it's stocked with catfish. Haven't bank fished it, but I know people fish it pretty regularly.

One place I would recommend, although I can't say I've been there myself, is the Delcambre canal in Delcambre. I hear that people do pretty decent down there. You may even catch redfish, black drum, and you will most likely catch some blue crabs while catfishing. I would get on google maps and look for a good area. I would imagine you could fish near the boat launch down there. If I didn't have a boat, I would definately give that place a try, as its close to lafayette. ( and i would imagine you could definately find fresh shrimp somewhere around there)

I also recently read about a guy catching some pretty big catfish out of Spanish Lake, but I've never had much success over there.

Good luck finding a nice spot, and give us some reports!:0a26:

3. Buzwa

Buzwa New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Stu, thanks for the info. I am going to give the Delcambre canal a shot. If anyone else has fished it please give me some pointers!

I'll definitely post my catch.

4. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I fished the Boston canal today; it was windy as hell. If you look at google Earth you can see "Boston" southwest of Erath, and south of that a "Marklee Island" shows up that runs right by the canal. It runs into the intercoastal canal west of the delcambre canal. Didn't do good at all, in fact, probably my least productive trip out there ever. Caught about 2 dozen crabs but wasn't keeping them. I believe the catfish are in the middle of the spawn right now, but I'm not really sure. Saw some bouncing limb-lines way inland, so maybe I just fished the wrong areas.:sad2:

5. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Buz, welcome to the BOC.
    Stu - haven't seen any posts from you in a long time. Are you still living in BR? Did you do any paddlefishing this year? I thought it was about this time of the year.

6. Buzwa

Buzwa New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Stu, thanks for the trip update. I am heading down to Delcambre tomorrow morning to see what I can come up with.

7. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    mully, school's been keeping me busy most of the time, and the past month I've been recovering from having mono. Finals are coming up and I don't really have much time to fish. I did, however, go snagging but the paddlefish weren't running very strong. Being sick I could only snag for about 30 minutes and luckily snagged a nice catfish into the 5th or so cast, check out my other post.

8. Buzwa

Buzwa New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Went down to Delcambre, but the landing had "No Fishing" posted everywhere :angry:. I tried to follow it down, but couldn't find a spot to fish. If anyone has any info on where to fish at down there, I'd like to know!

9. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Dang, sorry about that man.:sad2: At least it wasn't a long drive. Did you try fishing from the other side of the canal anywhere? Like I said I haven't been there before but know people fish it from the bank. Try asking on louisianasportsman.com they should have more knowledge than me about fishing there. good luck

10. cwell14

cwell14 New Member

State:
    LA
    Definitely fish the Boston down around Henry. Get on a point with strong current and cut bait and hold on tight! Don't bother settin the rod down. Stu did that one time and almost lost the damn rig. We've hooked quite a few moby dicks down at the Boston.

11. nightrider

nightrider New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    How far from Lafayette are you willing to go? The is Lake Dubission off I-49 north of Washington(about 30 minute drive from north Laf.) or you can try some areas around Bayou Courtableau east of Opelousas.

12. BAYOU-FLATHEAD

BAYOU-FLATHEAD New Member

State:
    AR
    Buzwa, welcome to the BOC.

13. Buzwa

Buzwa New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the tips nightrider. I am willing to go that far.

Thanks for the welcome Bayou.