Bank Fishing in March

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by yotetrapper, Mar 2, 2007.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Next week is supposed to be in the 50s. Water is high in the river. I would like to try fishing next week but have no idea about winter/early spring catfishing. I want to bank fish and was wondering about location and set up and bait for this time of year. Thanks in advance.

Angela

2. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I too would also like to know. What would it be like fishing in a small about 2 acres? Do I go deep, shallow? Stink bait, live bait, cut bait? Tight line lose line? Float or on the bottom? Someone fill me in! HELP

3. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Three-way rig with a piece of fresh cut bait. Fish below a dam or at the head of a hole. Wing dams will also hold a lot of fish. Also try the mouths of creeks that run into the river. I would also use cut bait in a pond. Fish near sunken cover, or on drop-offs. Shallow flats will hold fish, if bait-fish are present.

4. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Here in Michigan, we start fishing for cats as soon as the Ice is gone. My best bait is shrimp, (uncooked with the shell on, right out of the grocery store. Most of the time they are cheaper than nightcrawlers.) or a piece of sucker belly.
    Sparky

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Nightcrawlers are a good bet after rain or if the river is on a rise.Sour shad,the dead ones you find frozen in the ice or on the bank after the thaw,are excellent bait as thats what they are feeding on.

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    My suggeston is to go into the BOC Libaray an look up Whistlers article on winter channel cat fish. You can find out just about anything you need to know about fishing in the BOC Libary,. Good luck on the ol fishing banks ,have fun and stay safe.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    This a good time to start fishing, the cats should be coming out of there holes.

8. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    Well....right before all of this the rain came across WV on Thursday and ruined the water, there were some nice channel cats being caught. The guys were bank fishing in a small river, using chicken liver, on a deep slow moving section. I guess it's not too early to get after them!

9. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Here in N.E. Pa. we start as soon as the ice break's up. I find it at it's best if the water is high and dirty. I fish in the small eddy's useing cut bait and chicken liver, a lot of guy's use night crawler's.

10. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    This time of year I fish were the smaller creeks are dumping in. Cut bait and crawlers seem to work the best.

11. Oldbear

Oldbear Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yesterday I went ice fishing with 14 inches of ice and one in the group caught about a 2lb channel cat using wax worms.
    Today I went channel fishing under a bridge that was open using cut bait. Thought I had a biggin and ended up I snagged a big carp in the dorsal fin.

12. Jake Latendresse

Jake Latendresse New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Here on Lake McConaughy and the Platte River in Western Nebraska, most begin cat fishing immediately following the first warm spell after ice out. The most productive areas are the large flats adjacent to the mouth of the feeder creeks and rivers...AND the steep breaklines on the old river channel that are close to shore.

Shrimp, shad guts, crawlers, and sucker cuts are the most popular here...in no particular order.

One of the most productive guys in the area wades out to knee deep water in the feeding flat at the mouth of the river on Lake Mac...casts out as far as he can. He exclusively uses night crawlers and hammers big cats on a regular basis.

13. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My first trip Sunday was nothing to write home about, but we're getting close. Good luck!