Bank Fishing- How can I keep my bait off bottom?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mcwrestler, Apr 19, 2006.

1. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I do bank fishing, but the pond I fish has leaves and mud on the bottom, making it harder I would assume for fish to get to my bait. I also use weights between 4 and 8 oz. Besides a slip bobber is there any way i could rig something to use the weight but keep the bait suspended. The big ones are caught during the day at around 50 yards out, so I doubt I could throw a slip float minus heavy weight that far, or even with weight for that matter.

2. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA

3. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've read that floating jigheads can be used to do this. It will suspend your bait the length of line between the weight and jighead. Never tried it though.

4. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have used floating jigheads with good success. I have also used a tiny bobber above the rig. Put a heavy weight on bottom then leader then threeway off three way attach you hook and above three way use small bobber. Keeps things suspended and seems to work well. I have also used a flyfishing bobber. These are clear plastic and can be filled or partially filled with water. You can use them as a slip rig and keep things suspended.

Good luck.

5. mudkat

mudkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    hello fellas i just wanted to say im new

6. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use small corks between my hook & sinker! Good luck!

7. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
  8. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    Brad I have to deal with that same situation quite frequently on some of the waters that I fish. You can cover the Big Three breeds of catfish on that particular situation with two very easy rigs. The first rig can catch Channels and Blues and is very simple. If you are targeting waters that are for example 10 feet deep where the fish are coming in to feed just simply take a large round plastic or styrofoam float and place it approximatley 6 feet up from your hook and it will keep the bait off the bottom, and trust me the fish will still find it "the fish on my avitar pic was caught this way". I normally use cut bait with that rig. The second rig is used to target flatheads at any depth. Just tie on a 3-way swivel "brass due to it's strength" on your line, and on one of the two remaining loops tie on another line approximatley 18 inches with a weight of your choice, and on the other remaining loop tie on another line approximatley 12 inches and then your hook, it allows the live bait fish to swim out of the grass and muck on the bottom but still keeps the fish in a desired location of your choice. Hope this helps.

9. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    Welcome to the BOC Brad and Ryan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    just curious... why such a heavy weight? try lightening the weight a little and/or get rods that will handle lighter weights (for still water the most i use usually is 1 1/2 oz maybe 2 if i want to get out a little further) That may be part of the problem right there...

Other then that if you try a dip bait, alot of them float... or claim to... ummm but use a bobber attached to the line to float the bait up a little bit works well too... though i've never noticed any more success with it then with out it... just make sure the weight is enough to keep the bobber down i know my fishing partner has had the problem of his floats surfacing when we are still fishing (and not drifting)

11. Soupy_1us

Soupy_1us New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Try putting a small marshmellow on with your bait...

12. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    you dont need to suspend the bait in this situation. catfish love mud. if you are casting a bait the cats want, believe me, they'll find it. a catfish has about 10,000 taste buds located all over their body. they can detect a food source from 100 yards away. they can actually taste something if they are within 10 feet of it. i dont believe the leaf and mud bottom are your prob. like someone said earlier i would most definately lighten the load. 8 ounces in a lake is super overkill. you want to try and use the lightest sinker you can get by with. 2 ounce max. i would say your problem is more to do with location and bait selection than presentation. i do use a float above my hook quite often but the reason i do this is i fish in a big river with very large boulders on bottom. in this situation my hook could fall down between a couple of rocks and the cats wouldnt be able to get to it. it also aids in rig retreival. keeps the hook from getting hung up.

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :0a25: WELCOME ABOARD MUDCAT : YOUR GIONG TO REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND PROBABLY LEARN A LOT . EVERYONE ON HERE IS HERE TO HELP.