Bank Fishing Gear

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Matth2083, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Matth2083

Matth2083 New Member

State:
    Raleigh
    Hey Guys, just wonderin....I am one of those unfourtunate catfisherman that dont have the luxury of a boat. I have found that even when I think I am set up to catch the big cats they still take hold and either run down river or find a hole too far down for me too drag em in without jepordizing my catch. Im looking for recomendations for gear strong enough to muscle in some biguns from the bank without the continuing dissapointment of losing fish. I am currently using a medium strength 9' rod and a reel capable of 30#. Also I have tried to find river sinkers but I notice they dont sell them em local sporting good shops...Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

2. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    you need first taller rods and light line like a 12 foot rod with 17 lb line. that way you have the distance to cast and the muscle to drag them to you. the longer rod gives you some type of muscle and a better angle to pull the fish from cover. not saying that you will be able to pull them out every time. but it does help. where in nc are you at. i make river weights. just depends on the way you are fishing that will determine the weight for you to use. i like storms and no rolls. i fish the locks on the cape fear and have no problem staying where i need to with the weight. just contact me and i will try to help you the best i can. hope i have been able to help some

3. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Matt,

I also do alot of my fishing for the bank :sad2: due to the fact that I too don't own a Boat, but I find that it important to have a good net when fishing the shoreline to help get those big ones in when you get them in range to do so.
    :wink:
    I also agree with Joe, on the casting distance. I included two items that you may want to check out.
    :0a26:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s..._30230_100011006_100000000_100011000_100-11-6

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20295&hasJS=true

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

4. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Not sure what u r casting out for Weight & Bait.

I fish the Ohio River in Ohio @ a spot that is "Snag City" BIG TIME!! I prefer to tight line with 6 oz of lead and large baits of cut Shad for the 17-35# Flatheads get there.

1) 10 ft, 3-8 oz lure weight rods. 2) 50# superline with 50# mono leader for abrasion resistance. 3) Sturdy Rod Holders. 4) Break-Aways on the sinkers witch I make.

:big_smile:

5. Matth2083

Matth2083 New Member

State:
    Raleigh
    Well the longer rod makes sense,the problem for is I normally fish at bank spots with dense tree cover all around me, I have to cast my 9' foot very carefully. I mostly go to the cape around erwin/dunn and the neuse around knightdale. I stopped by dicks today and picked up some 65# Power pro line, cost me about $30 for 300 yards. A little steep for my budget but I figured its worth it. Thanks the advice guys. Oh yeah, the river sinkers for a slip rig is what Im looking for, so any advice on that would be awesome too. Thanks.