Bank fishing for blue catfish?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by douglas_413, Mar 17, 2007.

1. douglas_413

douglas_413 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Does anyone do any good fishing from the bank for blues? And if so what kind of conditions do you look for?

2. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I don't bank fish but if I was going to I would be looking for some deeper water with current and structure. Of course the water depth would depend on the water temp. and the time of year.

3. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    I fish from the bank quite a bit, though i prefer being in a boat. Some of the places that i bank fish, i have found when in the boat using a sonar, that told me there was a good hole with a nice dropoff on both edges of the hole.

One of the things that i have always done wherever i have lived is go on exploratory excursions. I load up my dog and a fishin pole in my truck and make a day of finding places to fish. I start with some type of map, or do some searches on the internet.....GoogleEarth is a GREAT resource. On some portions of GoogleEarth you can actually see depth changes in some rivers and lakes. I found a couple holes on the cumberland river by using GoogleEarth, took the boat to that general area and found ledges using the sonar.

Back to finding bank fishing spots...

anyways, after doing some research and obtaining some type of printed map, i take off early in the morning and start looking for places to fish. My goal is not usually TO fish, but locate places to try at a later date. It can be difficult to find places, that's why i make a day of it....making notes and annotations on the map i take with me. I may explore many miles of a river system, driving on major roads near the river, looking for dirt/gravel roads that head down to the river.
    when i found a place close enough to water, i get out and walk around...my dog LOVES this part...new stuff to sniff!! :tounge_out:

anyway....one of the most important aspects of searchin out some bank fishing spots, FOR ME....is determing if a particular location provides plenty of rooom to be able to cast effectively and just as important...can i land a decent/big fish at the location. finding a good hole and then not being able to land anything you catch...just plain sucks!! :crazy:

blah, i've rattled on long enough..

good luck with your search :smile2:
    robert

4. douglas_413

douglas_413 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    How important are the water temps for catching blues?

5. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    really important. The blues follow the bait, and the bait will move according to water temp & wind direction usually. This time of the year, try to concentrate on some shallower water (less than 6 feet) and just try to find the baitfish. Find the bait, the blues won't be far behind.

6. P. nasuta

P. nasuta New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I bank fish all the time and catch plenty of good-size blues and flatheads. I primarily fish two areas, the tail waters of a dam and the outside, down stream end of a large bend in the river.

The hole in the river bend is 50 to 60 feet deep and can easily be reached by casting from the bank. I usually use a 3-way rig with enough weight to make the cast and hold steady on the bottom. At this location I like to use small live bream or bream fillets from larger bream. I will usually catch a couple of bream to get my rods out, then fish for more bait while I'm waiting on the catfish to bite.

Fishing below the dam is generally the same except I like to use skipjack or shad for bait. My bait philosophy is "fish with what they are eating."

Take Care

7. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Doug, fishing from the bank is no different than fishing from a boat, other than walking to move. The ark, louisiana, texas records were caught all from the bank. The ark and texas records were world records at one time. All us guys with boats and the bank fishers are the ones catching them monsters! As for places to look, anywhere is good to wet a line, remember its just fishing......

8. douglas_413

douglas_413 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Should I be looking for deep holes, structure, or current? And do you guys prefer cut or live bait?

9. P. nasuta

P. nasuta New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    When I'm fishing below the dam I like to move further down stream than the rest of the guys and fish an eddy area. The guys fishing right below the dam in the current catch plenty of fish and some really big ones, I also catch plenty of fish and some big ones. However, I think I catch more flatheads in the eddy than they catch in the main current. My other spot is a deep hole (tail end), I have a lot of confidence in this area. I catch a lot of fish here during the dog-days of summer.

As for bait, I use cut more than live, but that is only because it is easier to catch larger baitfish where I fish. However, if I catch a baitfish in an acceptable size to use live I'll certainly do it.

Take Care

10. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    blues are an open water fish for the most part and they relate to structure but don't seem to hold on structure when they're in a feeding mode. they travel in pods of scattered fish around here ... like 10 to 15 fish in a group that'll hunt for shad out in open water ... when the wind is blowing a certain direction for a week or more the shad will be on the windblown side of the lake and coves and small creeks on the windblown side of the lake will have fish stacked up in them pretty good. when I start out fishing I look for bird activity first and then go by wind direction to start my search for actively feeding fish. when the wind is coming out of the south I'll always start looking on the northern side of the lake for active fish and when I find some I'll fish there and kinda keep an eye on my clock on the fish finder and if a 15 to 20 minute time lapse occours without a bite I'll reel everything in and start looking for more fish because if they're there then they'll not pass up a fresh cut shad head or fillet-o-shad with the gizzard on the hook too. this last week of fishing (5 days in a row) we caught over 600 or 700 lbs of fish by using these methods. keeping the bait off bottom is also another tip you should think about as most areas a carolina rig is no good when you have soft muddy bottoms or rocky bottom areas. using a crappie float and slack lining will work a lot better than a carolina rig or put a crappie float on the carolina rig with a 2.5 ft leader so that the bait is held up off the muddy bottoms. find shad on the windblown side of the lake and fish there and maybe back up in the coves that are on the windblown side and you'll do pretty well. current eddys are also a favorite hang-out of bluecats when conditions are right. you'll also catch a flathead or two on occasions around current eddys.