BANK FISHING FOR BLUE CATFISH

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by catoon, Apr 12, 2009.

1. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    this mite have been talked about before but i was wondering how many fish for blues from the bank on rivers and in lakes . i am mostly a river boater and was wondering how the bankers do it for blues?

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    was wondering how the bankers do it for blues?

with a rod and reel :smile2::smile2::smile2::wink:

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Bankers only fish from 9:00 to 3:00 then go play golf, LOL!

4. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I only fish from the bank and only fish in the Mississippi around the dam here in Alton IL. 95% of the fish I catch are blues, once in awhile a channel and have also caught quite a few big sturgeon. Last year I had one very good day catching a #48 #45 and 4 or 5 in the #20-#30 range. They were all blues. But it is like any fishing, some days good some bad. Good luck.

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Richard all my fishing is done from the bank....since I dont have a boat anymore. I target Blues in the deeper areas of water, where the channel runs closer to the bank usually around bluffs or bends. I cast out chunks of cutbait (skipjacks) & (Bluegills). I also prefer circle hooks when fishing cutbaits for Blues and channels. When Flathead fishing I fish the more shallower waters at night, usually on flats adjacient to deeper water, with live baits and big ole King kahle hooks.:cool2:

6. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    When i gotta fish from the bank, ill fish deep holes during the day that have some slow water, and at night ill fish the sand bars at the deeper end. Generally use cut shad that i catch as soon as i get there. I have learned my lesson many times over though and still take some of that frozen mush that i collected last summer just in case.

7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I fish for blues from the bank in the winter. We fish the shallow mud flats in the lake. We use shad or skipjack.

8. bankfisher73

bankfisher73 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I fish 99% of the time from the bank and do well on days here and there.
    Use 10 and 12 foot surf rods to help me get out there in the Texas resevoirs. In winter the deeper water is where I like to fish to try and get on bigger blues, spring is the time I start shallow. Really would like to learn more about catching flathead from the bank.I usually luck out and catch about 1 per year but need to figure out how to target them better. This is a neat forum,think I'll be spending some time here now that I found it. Thanks:cool2:

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I never caught any Blues or Flatheads from the bank just Channels and Bullheads.

10. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Pretty much the same as fishing from a boat deep holes and current :big_smile_2:

11. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Cought this one from the bank in Arkansas river dam 33lb and many more average 15 to 20lb on cut skipjack

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Heres a few picture links from some of my Blues caught from the bank.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/album.php?albumid=693&pictureid=5838

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/album.php?albumid=693&pictureid=5827

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/album.php?albumid=693&pictureid=5866

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/album.php?albumid=693&pictureid=5830

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/album.php?albumid=693&pictureid=5873

13. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    You all would be shocked when ya see all them blues putted from the bank. Not saying it takes a mighty Joe Pole! LOL:smile2: patience
    time strength and a couple beers maybe (As DH would say) but you can get just as many from them banks as the boat I would say...:wink:
    Oh, just so ya know My DH is Raysplay! Love ya honey!:tounge_out:

14. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thats my girl :tounge_out::tounge_out::tounge_out:[

15. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Bank fishing requires tactics that are as different as the tackle used by boat and bank fisherman. Some things are similar,a 14' river rod is tough to handle in a boat and a 6 or 7 foot rod is small for a rolling river and a forked stick. They will all catch fish, but specializing your tactics and tackle will help a lot. Successfull bank fisherman have more patience than boaters. Just sit for 8-12hrs. and watch how many boat fishermen come and go in short order! No bites: MOVE! And FAST. The bigger the motor, the smaller your lake gets. When fishing from the bank, that is what you do; Fish. It is not called catching or boating. I find bank fishing more enjoyable and relaxing than boating. More solitude and time to sort things out. I really believe that the hussle and bussle of boaters is due to our lifestyles. No time to be patient. I am the opposite and approach bank fishing like hunting from a deerstand. If nothing happens after 2hrs see what happens after 4 or 6, then be ready for action at the 8-10hr stretch! Sit back and watch the barge lock thru and the boaters drift a stretch 6-10 times and relax while the boaters race around to catch something. Ask who wants to take the boat fishing and they line up. Ask who wants to bank fish tonight from 5pm till 6am and you will be going alone! But coming home with some monster memories.:wink: PS. I always wish that we brought the boat when those clouds of buffalo gnats start gagging us.:eek:oooh:TIP: Watch the river roll by, as it cultivates patience, and you will be a more successful bank fisherman and better deer hunter in the fall.:smile2:

16. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Sounds like youve got it down to a science John, and also the proof, nice photos.

17. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Great post Wiskars I agree on what you said.I Fish from the bank and from a boat each have the advantage in certain situations.sometimes Ill take a boat to get to a great bank spot!:wink: Billy

18. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im in the same boat, just ask floattrip willie what he thinks, and mr altone you just got to wing it out there as fare as you can with long strong rods and reels, 12 foot is ideal, and get them reels tuned up so they sail

19. bigsoddy

bigsoddy New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i only fish for cats from the bank on chickamauga lake. once i get plenty for the freezer mostly channels. i target big blues.

20. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    also , stoked lakes are easy, but the big rivers thats a challende