Bank fishing for big cats in West Knoxville

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by FishSCooper, Apr 29, 2019.

1. FishSCooper

FishSCooper New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Sean Cooper
    I am new to the forum and the Knoxville area and looking for some good spots to bank fish in West Knoxville for flatheads and blues. Any tips/ advice would be appreciated.

Rexgrove likes this.
  2. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Hi Sean, Man are you in luck. First off start watching Catfish Dave youtube videos. He has a bunch of videos out and catchers some really nice blues and flatheads in the Knoxville area. Dave doesn't mind telling folks where he is fishing so that is a good way to find some spots. If you interested, I can send you a list I have made up of where he bank fishes. Another good spot is in Kingston, TN beside the community center.

Most of these places require a long cast to get out to the drop-off. That is essential for getting in the most productive water.

My son lives in that area so I get down there occasionally. You are in a great area for big fish.

You might watch Kayak Catfish on youtube also. Good way to see what others are doing to catch nice cats.

tight lines

bhday, Shane Sims, Rexgrove and 2 others like this.

3. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    As far as bait, live is good for big flatheads but the all around best is cut bait using skipjack (caught local) shad and bluegill. These two youtube providers will show you what you need for bait and Dave even showed one place to get it.

Let us know how your doing and post a picture when you can.

good luck.

Rexgrove, eastforker and FishSCooper like this.
  4. FishSCooper

FishSCooper New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Sean Cooper

Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum. The list of Dave's spots would be an awesome way to get started. I will be using mostly surf spinning gear left over from my years in Florida so I should be able to throw the baits out pretty far. My family will be traveling for most of the summer, so I'm planning to fish intensely in June and July and scout out a few places leading up to that time. I really appreciate the information and am looking forward to leaning more and sharing in the forum. Thanks so much for the help!

Rexgrove likes this.
  5. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Sean, look up at the top right of the page and see id you have a message in your inbox. You used to need 10 posts to get PMs but check and see if it came thru.

6. Trophy Flathead Hunter

Trophy Flathead Hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Hey Sean welcome aboard. Nice avatar picture!

7. FishSCooper

FishSCooper New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Sean Cooper
    Thanks! Got that in Brazil a few years back on a live tilapia. I just moved to Knoxville and am hoping to get a big flathead this spring/ summer. The forum has been great at providing information to help me get started.

8. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Oh Sean, be sure to have your reels on free spool with the clicker on or very well secured if in lockdown or they will take off on you.

Aceoky and FishSCooper like this.
  9. Shane Sims

Shane Sims New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Shane166
    Hi is there anyway you could send me that list as well thanks!

10. Tommy Dean

Tommy Dean Active Member Supporting Member

State:
    Georgia
    Name:
    Tommy dean
    Welcome to the forum. You are given some of the best advice. Catfish Dave is very knowledgeable about fishing and his choices and why he goes to those spots. He goes into detail about bait catching. Your surf gear will work, it will get you the casting difference you need.

11. Shane Sims

Shane Sims New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Shane166
    If
    If you got that list could you send it my way buddy I’m trying use it for a trip this weekend thanks

12. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Shane, if Sean doesn't provide it, I will later. When are you going that way? A couple of the spots are city parks but they close to the public at night. That is a shame but it shows that the PD has had some trouble in that area.

13. Shane Sims

Shane Sims New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Shane166
    Thank you we are going this weekend we have a few spots in mind but the list would really help me out. We are thinking of hitting admiral park any luck there?

14. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I am not aware of it Shane. I just got home from a long weekend on the water and have to catch up on some sleep. Give me a nudge tomorrow and I will provide some public spots.

15. Tommy Dean

Tommy Dean Active Member Supporting Member

State:
    Georgia
    Name:
    Tommy dean
    Navionics downloaded onto your phone will help a lot. It gives you areas where the river channel comes close to the bank. Right now catfish are fairly deep. The program will be helpful in finding and catching big blues and flatheads. It reveals submerged things like roads, bridges, and dropoffs.

Shane Sims and eastforker like this.
  16. Shane Sims

Shane Sims New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Shane166
    Hey buddy if you got a minute you think I could get that list

17. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    If I haven't sent you a PM by tomorrow night, pm me. Got a couple of appointments before I can get the info together.

Big thing is being able to cast some distance to get to the drop-offs. And like mentioned, Navionics is good to have to see where the deep water is.

18. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I am guessing no one sent info. Here are some spots I know about for bank fishing.

For during the day, you can fish the park banks but they close the parks at dark or close.

First go to the west side of Knoxville. Look for Northshore Drive. You can probably search for Concord Park. Right south of Concord Park is a parking lot and boat ramp. Go into the lot for the ramp and there is a dirt lane going west to a point. Try there. It is well known so don’t be surprised if it is crowded. Maybe should get there early. You can fish there all night.

Second, from the ramp go east on Northshore drive about a mile or two (estimate) to Cowan Park. Follow the entrance road to the end and it will dead end at a ramp. You can walk out on some large rocks at the waters edge and cast to the channel.

Third spot, go a few hundred yards farther on Northshore Drive and go into Farragut Park. Drive all the way back to the waters edge. There is a couple parking spots right there and a nice park bench to set on. Since the water is low I think you can walk out toward the water on the rocks. Cast as far out as you possible can to get to the river channel drop off.

Best baits in order of preference in my opinion are skipjack, shad, bluegill but any will work. Cut bait seems to be as good as live but it needs to be fresh. A live bait cut just before casting is really good. I like baits the size of two fingers side by side up to four fingers side by side.

Last spot is west on I-40 to Kingston. Get off at the exit and go south on hwy 58. Turn right on West Race St. go a couple of block to the river and you should see a couple of boat ramps at the City Park. On the river there they have park benches and a walkway. Cast as far out as you can to get to the deep water. There are restrooms there in the community center.

These have all been on Catfish Dave’s YouTube channel so I am not giving any real secrets away.

Hope this helps
    Tight lines
    Tom

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Shane Sims and Tommy Dean like this.
  19. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Shawn, go to YouTube and lookup Catfish Dave. Then check out his most recent video about reals. He is fishing at Farragut Park. That is the bench I mentioned. I thought is had been really dry there so was surprised that the water was as high as it is. Note he says in a couple of weeks the bigger cats will be back.

Watch al lot of his videos because he often tells exactly where he is fishing. He also has a video made at the beginning of this year. It has a long title but the title ends with best cats in 2018. Watch it and you will see the kind of fish he regularly gets into there.

Hope this helps. I hope you practice CPR. These big fish are getting fewer all the time. We need to take care of them.

Tight lines.

20. zachM54

zachM54 Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Zach
    I can add a few more not in Knoxville, but within driving distance. Clinch River--Bull Run Steam Plant off Edgemoor Rd. Ladd's Landing area in Kingston. Under the I-40 bridge across from Kingston Steam Plant. Also good bank access at Kingston Steam Plant. Tailwaters of Melton Hill Dam. Also the Tennessee River at tailwaters of Ft. Loudon Dam.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    eastforker likes this.