Bank Fishing Flooded Rivers...(great winter tactic)

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfish_clayton, Dec 20, 2008.

1. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Bank Fishing Flooded Rivers. (great winter and early spring tactic)

In the past few years I have discovered that fishing flooded rivers from the bank can be verry productive. I have had alot of success fishing aroud trees, in small creeks, and even in tall grass. Opertunities that would not be available without the presence of a flood. In this tread I will simply go over the techniques I use for fishing these locations.

Small creeks...
    When I say small creeks I am talking about verry shallow waterways that would not present any fishing potential for catfish and other river fish. However, when there is a flood going on these shallow waterways can become hotspots for channels and blues. Wether the area has increased a foot or twenty foot in water depth. When it comes to fishing flooded creeks you usualy cant go wrong. When I am fishing flooded creeks I will start not at the mouth, but as far up the creek as I can. If possible I will go clear up to where the water has droped to only a foot or two deep. From there I will work my way down. Fishing each spot about 15 minutes. Untill I start catching fish. When I do get one I'll cast back out for about 10 minutes. If I dont get anything else. I'll move on.

rigs for small creeks- slip rig with a 1/2 to 1oz. egg sinker and a 4-2/0 hook depending on the size of fish.

note- this is my favorite way to fish floods.
    note-best fishing is usualy a few days into the flood.

Trees, and tall grass...
    The reason these spots create great fishing during floods. Is that they simply create a place with less current then the main river. When selecting a spot like this to fish. You will want to find a place where the water is shallow. Only one to six foot deep. Where the current is slowed down greatly but not completely stopped.When I fish trees and tall grass, I will usualy go to a place where I know the land has a gentle slope. Going from the land into the river. I will fish around these spots using the same time rule I do when fishing creeks.

rigs for trees and tall grasses- slip rig with a 1/2 to 1oz. egg sinker and a 4-2/0 hook depending on the size of fish, and sometimes a bobber.

I have great success fishing these kinds of situations during a flood. If you give them a try Im sure you will too.

Feel free to ask me questions about these techniques.

2. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I too fish the flooded feeder creeks leading to the Ohio River !!!!! Thanks for your input it is great advice !!!!!

3. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Just last year I caught several nice channels out of this one creek. The spot on it where I was catching the most was 13ft deep, I new this from the train bridge that go's over the creek. The normal depth is less than a half a foot. When the flood waters become that high these type of spots Ive mentioned are sometimes the only ones that are fishable. Me and my friends caught hundreds of fish at that creek not only in the 13ft hole, but the whole thing.

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Sounds like a well thought out plan.Thanks for all the useful tips.Hopefully we don't get the floods we did last year in our area.But I'm sure we will.We have one spot we call mudlick that produces some nice cats when those fields flood.here is a pic of it last summer.It's suppose to be a bean feild and corn field with a County Rd running between them.but looks more like a lake.