bank fishing flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Jun 5, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i think i posted something like this but i dont remember, anyways i bank fish a point that produced some big, flatheads, now the last three times out ive got skunked not a bite, should i stick it out or move? im limeted on good spots, and i hate thinking if i move ill miss another 50 or over, so what would yall do in my situation

2. Carl

Carl New Member

State:
    WV
    If I were guessing I'd say their on the nest. JMO

3. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    They'll be back. They are getting it on right now and are occupied. Great time to experiment different places for 3 or 4 more weeks.

4. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Well, you know that spot is a good one so don't give up on it. But get out and find a bunch of new spots. It's like hunting, you have to do some scouting first. Good flathead habitat will draw in more fish. My guess is the baitfish have moved and the flatheads went with them. Think about what the flatheads eat in your body of water. Find out where that food source is moving to and fish there.

I know you fish a lake so I will throw this in. In lakes I fish here in indiana the bluegills have gone real shallow along with the shad. So I have been fishing creek channels that lead to shallow gravel bottom areas and coves. Flatheads use channels to go to and from feeding areas.

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Besides the spawn thing,which I agree, sometimes I have to change up my fishing times in a spot. They tend to have feeding time patterns and for some reason the bite time will change.

-Jim-

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I may try a few different spots in that area,but I wouldn,t give up on that spot.Big fish were there for a reason,unless you have reason to believe that they were there chasing bait on a seasonal movement,they should be back.They,re not spawning here yet in Western,PA.Sometimes you get a good area and then you,ll have TOO much bait move into the area and it makes it hard to get a bite.Perserverance,Slikk,Perserverance!:eek:oooh:

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would say they are getting ready to spawn..probably slow action for the next month.

8. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I know its hard to find a good bank fishing spot. What time of year did you catch your 50. I think temperature of water, depth, and food fish change
    with the seasons. THe ideal thing would be to have fall and spring spots
    and winter and summer spots.

9. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    yeah there probably spawning, and when they get done it will be on!!! chunk them large bream after the spawn they will be ready to gorge!!! but i would definately stick with that spot. i have spots thats the same way.persistance always gets the big one!

10. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree with the spawning, but when you catch these biguns are they released immediately back into the same waters? Or are you cleaning the hole out?No offense but, I have noticed a few of your pictures with the big ones it looks like you just pulled them out of the trunk of your car. So I'm thinking those aren't released. Do you eat them? Also what size a river you fishing?

11. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    My solution to spawning is bluegill heads... they wont grab a live one but if they pass a fresh bluegill head they'll grab it.. that's the explanation for my 1 fish over 20 lbs a night and no other action. Thought it was a channel cat both times.. tap tap bump.. Like they didnt' even care..

12. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    If you fish below dams on rivers I don't think it will matter as much. At least that's what I'm hoping since I am fishing below the locks tomorrow.:eek:oooh: Anyhow, the baitfish stay around the locks year round so if you don't know where to go to get some spawning flatties, the locks would be a good choice. Hey, they gotta eat right? Yeah, yeah I know. They sit on their nests. :roll_eyes:

13. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    change it up a little, try closer to shore or what i do sometimes is if i cast out far i let if soak for a little then move my bait in closer 10 ft. and let it soak and so on, sometimes ya just gotta get the bait in front of their face

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im back, yea the fifty went to the feeder creek unfortuantly i had to take it home to get the pic i wish i could of put it back, it was mid may wen i was getting them, this lake is warmer its a cooling lake so i dont know if there swaning,but i did get a ten pounder to shore last night then it come off, but it wasent no big one, also it was caght on a gama, everytime i use them they tend to come free thats why i like king kaels

15. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    u cant clean out a hole, flatheads move around looking for bait fish they might be there one day and not the next.water temp, weather cond, water conditions all factor in, sorry if it offends u but this ole boyz gonna eat sum cats!!!!!

16. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio

Eat all you want! Just read the whole thread, in order, before posting comments on someones profile page. Those are stay there ya know?

You can clean out a hole , Don't believe me? Ask these guys on here that are catching the big boys GPS cordinates of where they fish...

17. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i dont know if it was a hole. i think its a crusing point, to tell you the truth, i dont think there are holes there ,in casting range, they just cruis around out of the deep holes in the lake, , i dont know how to even find a hole, lol i just get a few runs during a 6 hour perid dont get much,but in may they were going crazy, so im guesing its not a hole

18. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Take a fish out of a hole and another will replace it, its just a matter of time. I don't see how any one can be sure they even cleaned out a hole, not knowing how many fish are in it in the first place. There is always one that wont bite.lol :wink:

19. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I don't know,, but, These are some problems,, I'd like to have!!:wink: