Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

bank fishing blues in the Mississippi

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Geek13 
#1 ·
is this possible or is it a must to have a boat around alton

#4 ·
I would recommend anywhere around Melvin Price Lock and Dam. The Missouri or Illinois side. Bluff City tackle in Alton can usually fill you in on fishing conditions around the Alton area. There have been plenty of big blues caught from the bank around the dam. Good luck.

#5 ·
I've caught some Blues from the bank on the Mississippi in and around Memphis. They have all been in the teeny tiny to 6 lb. range. I also saw a guy catch one that was about 15 lbs. He was fishing on a wall of riprap in an outside bend swirl area using nightcrawlers. Good Luck!

#7 ·
Thats all I do is bank fish on the missisippi and I've had great luck. If you dont mind walking a little bit. Try to find any spot where the water swirls or backs up. There are alot of places between Alton and St Louis. I prefer where there is alot of barge traffic that comes near the bank. Lewis and clark memorial is one of the best places and anywhere along the chain of rock canal just try to cast out where the barges pass. And when one go's by toss out some cut or whole shad in the barge's wake Its just like mom ringing the diner bell...Good luck

#8 ·
Hey Bud, Im tellin ya now, if u can find a good spot along the river shore(sandbars, drop-offs, wood or rock structures, deep holes, etc.), fish it. I do not own a boat and I love catfishing on the Ohio River. My buddy has a boat and I fish w/ him a couple times each spring, and one day, I had him run really slow just 20 yards outside an area of docks along the river side, found that there is a nice drop off out and within casting distance of this dock. I got permission to fish that dock, and I have installed some rod holders onto it, and I slay some nice catfish outta there every year. Caught a 43lb Blue off of the dock this May, along w/ many 20+ lbers. Watch my video and see for yourself. In the 'catfish videos' forum- its called 'catfishing on the ohio river (43lb Blue)'. Check it out man, all those fish were caught from the shore, off the same dock. Jus gotta find a spot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.