Bank fishing Big Allison Creek (Lake Wylie)

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by tatersalad, Apr 25, 2006.

1. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Looking for tips on bank fishing. Have bass and trout fished for years, but just started focusing on cats. Any info would be great!

2. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Try to find a point where there's a lot of mussel shells washed up on the bank. There are almost allways catfish in the general area. Right now I would fish fairly shallow. From the three to six foot range. I've noticed that people fishing from the bank tend to cast as far out as they can. I'm not sure why they do that. Most of the larger cats I catch in wylie are with in 10 feet of a bank, but that's just me. As far as bait I would say liver, night crawlers, and shrimp are some good choices. Cut bait is also widely used. I hope this stuff helps you a little bit.

3. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I"ve been catching cats pretty good at ebineezer park. I "ve been fishing shallow using cut bream and night crawlers.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Only draw back to bank fishing Wylie is the snakes sneak up on ya at night.

5. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    wylie catter: thanks for the info. I have been fishing around a bunch of shells, but maybe too deep. I'll definitely try shallower water, and maybe some real liver instead of the stink bait.

RiverratSC: that's why God made snake boots!;)

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    You're gonna need them.;)

I used to bank fish around in there but not since I bought a boat. Well I did fish from the pier last year one night.

7. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    I wear them every time.....:cool:

Hope to get a boat next year some time, but til then i'm stuck on the bank.

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    If I'm going to bank fish for cats in a larger lake it will Wylie because I live 45 minutes to a hour away.

9. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Well, RiverRatSC, if you are ever going to bank fish on Wylie and want some company let me know. I'm only about 15-20 minutes away from the Big Allison Creek Crossing on 274.

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    If I know I'm heading that way with my boat I'll give ya a holler. Only have room for the two of us but you're welcome to go when I get up that way.

11. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Well, caught my first flathead saturday afternoon. Nice little 4-5 #er.

New catfish rig = #6 Aberdeen hook, redworm, crappie bobber :crazy:

12. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Congrats on your 1st flattie :big_smile: Sometimes there's no tellin' what those kats will bite on :crazy:

13. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    yeah, it's crazy isn't it? Got my wife all fired up, that's for sure. Now she says i have to buy a boat so i can take her fishing on it! dang the luck..........

:surrender:

14. bigflatheadfisherman

bigflatheadfisherman New Member

State:
    north carolina
    My name is Steve and I live in gastonia nc, I was wondering how to get to allison creek? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!:cool2:

15. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Steve, i just run down hwy 274 from the town of Lake Wylie, Big Allison Creek is the first large bridge you get to after Hwy 49 splits off. You can pull off and park (little parking area) on the right before the bridge. I'll PM you my phone, call my if you want more info.

16. Fisher14

Fisher14 New Member

State:
    SC
    What's the biggest cat you've pulled out of Wylie? I think we're going next Friday night. We'll probably put in at Ebenezer Park, but we'll fish Big Allison. Any cats over toward Small Allison? Thanks in advance!

17. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Wyliecat posted a thread this weekend, believe he caught a 20+ blue on Wylie Saturday, i'd check out that thread. I haven't caught anything over 10#, but I'm still learning.....

18. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Big cats on Wylie are there, but the lake is not loaded like other lakes.

I catch channels regularly in the 4-6 pound range on about every trip with an occasional 7-9 pounder. Anything over 10 pounds on Wylie is trophy class. My best so far has been a 12 pound 4 oz. channel earlier this spring.

There are some blues, but targeting them is tough. Most are in the 6-8 pound range with an occasional 9-12 pound fish caught while pursuing big channels. I managed to land a 22 pounder a couple of weeks ago, and that is my best so far on Wylie. I was so excited because at first it had the dark appearance of a channel, but close examination of the anal fin proved it was a blue.

There are some big flatheads too. There have been fish in the 40-50 pound range caught, photographed, and weighed...so they are not fish stories. of course targeting these monsters is much different than channels and blues. My best so far was a little over 12 pounds.

Steve you can get to Allison Creek by taking 274 out of Gastonia in to SC. Stay straight and after you cross the THIRD river bridge look for the signs for Allison Creek access on your left. There is a public fishing access area there and a boat ramp.

If you see a big dummy in a center console boat, it may be me!!!

19. Fisher14

Fisher14 New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for that post WylieCat! We didn't get a chance to go out this weekend, but we're planning a definate trip soon!