Bank fishing around Richmond

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Dallison, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I found this site at work..(it's slow now and I'd rather be fishing anyway). I've been attempting to catch a catfish for about 3 years now in the Richmond area. I started at Huguenot flatwater area. I caught a flathead right off the bat so I was happy yeah there are fish here....Well I didn't like that area so much so I went down to Pony Pasture. 2 more fish later and a 70$ parking ticket and I guess I went home happy I didn't get towed. That was over 2 years ago.

Next I started looking at the little parks around the area. Henrico county doesn't have many places to really catch a fish. I've been to Echo Lake...no luck really. Crump Park, I've caught several cats there good size (it's stocked). Three Lakes Park, I've caught several there as well. Swan Lake in Richmond by Maymont even has Catfish too, I caught one there.

Finally I started asking around. Where can I go fishing .....????
    My girlfriend lives in Varina right near Osbourne Boat Landing sooooo I finally went to a pier. I'm not totally crazy about pier fishing but I've practically lived there this summer, I've been there at the crack of dawn till dark and all and all I've had my best fishing there which doesn't say much. I've also been down by the Annabelle Lee area, Deep Bottom park area, and the Wilcox Wharf area. No real luck at any of those places except a couple at Deep Bottom on the Four Mile Creek Bank.

Enough said really, I'm just looking for a good place to bank fish. I don't want to drive more than an hour from my Lakeside home the gas prices suck sooooo I don't want to waste more money than I need to.(back and forth to varina is enough)

Any advise on where to go would help...
    thanks
    David
    (totally new the the forum)

2. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I'm sorry that I can't help you in that I am a little too far west to know about good fishing spots, but it sounds like you have pretty much set the boundaries of you domain, based on location, gas prices, etc.

Good luck, and welcome to the BOC, David!

3. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    across the river from the annabel lee is a park and ramp, off maury exit.

deep bottom, osbourne, city point(more than hour from lakeside?)

all i can think of...

vaughn

4. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm MORE than willing to travel for some fishing. I really want to go to James River State Park down toward Amherst. I just want some basic places. I'm fishing 3-4 times a week day or night. I also meet alot of people with places they go so any imput is good help. Can you fish in Hopewell where the Appatomatax meets the James. Thats my next venture or the Panmunky a little northwest of here. I'll get up at the crack of dawn or leave in the middle of the night to catch a fish, even if its raining.

5. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    yes in hopewell, a few places. city point has a little pier in one spot. and a beach area in another, don't remember the exact streets.

don't know about amherst , i think the pamunkey is north east of richmond and east towards the york(west point)

vaughn

6. Walsvault

Walsvault New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Try Ragged Island it has a long stretch of good bank and theres not alot of people who fish there