Bank fishing a lake

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bw69r, Nov 18, 2008.

1. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i bank fish for flats in rivers and would like to try bank fishing a lake. have never fished a lake for flats before and am looking for any advice you folks have to share on how to go about this.

2. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

Catfishin_Farm_Boy New Member

State:
    Sevierville, TN
    Hay Brian,

There is some options on locations.. I usually try to fish near deep water that quickly comes up to shallower water.. Aka Points, Ledges and Channel Drop Offs.. Either in Creeks or on the Main Lake... Anywhere with alot of structure in the water like Wood would be a good spot too try out or Rocks..The areas with deep water close by will be better produce'n

You'll tend to wanna make longer casts on a lake than a river.. Just keep movin around until you find where they are stacked up and travel'n through..

I use live bluegills or whatever shad that are in the lake.

Hope this helps !!!! :smile2:

3. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    your have to do some walking around the lake to find a good location or as was my case an older fellow that fished the lake that i do told me where which saved alot of foot work and trial and error i have good luck with dead minnows or nightcrawlers, liver seems to be 50/50 for me

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    You can often get good information from the local bait shop or from just hainging out at the boat ramp. Strike up conversation with people who just returned from a successful trip and they are usually more than willing to tell the story of their success:wink:

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Brian besides locating the cover etc. I really concentrate on making no noise . I even set my holders back from shore up to 30'......sometimes more !! . Most of my fish are caught very close to shore and I'm convinced that it helps not spook potential fish . I never cast out more than 100' out here .

On a funny note my rods have been dragged down towards the water but I was able to grab them in time because they were back so far , LOL . I've learned a lot since them days ; )

I think on lakes fish can hear more because there isnt noisy moving water .

g' luck Brian

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    This is some great advice!!!!!! my stategy as well!!!!
    One time when I first moved to Western Kentucky and I needed a good place to fish....i was at the lake one day with my binoculars, watching for birds or surface activity. I noticed an old man across the lake who was running his trot-lines. I watched as he continued to take catfish after catfish off of his lines. They were mostly Bluecats and channels in the 3-10 lb range. I quickly became aware of the fact that this man knew what he was doing. I didnt have a boat and couldnt reach the places he was fishing, but, with a little trial and error.....I found that on my side of the bank was a tremendous spot to bank fish. I have caught 100's of channels and blues from this spot. I dont keep very many fish....just when I have the taste for some fresh fish. Some of the Blues I have caught from this spot have weighed in the upper teens and near 20 lbs. Not bad for a bank fishing spot...that I just so happened to luck upon. Its at the foot of a big bluff....with shallower water and sand bar extending off one end. Most of the fish I catch here are in the deeper water that runs to the sand bar. We catch some flatheads here too.....but havent caught the really big ones here yet. It is just a matter of being in the right place at the right time though.....good luck to ya!!!!

7. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    I fish a 15 acre lake that has some monster flats in it as well as channels, the down side is there is cover, its just not abundant, any advice on what to do, cause we have thrown the kitchen sink, tub, toilet, heck the whole dang house at these boys, 1 big one is caught every year in the lake but thats about it and it seems to be a fishing at the right time luck kinda thing, we know there in there, shad and gills and fingerling bass would be there main forage, and weve tried all baits and have banked and fished from a boat and hit all spots that would be possible holding spots and traveling spots but the best we have managed is 5-10lbers, is it just too much area to cover or is there something we are missing.

8. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have yet to catch a flat in a lake here,just in a tailrace. I've seen them caught on trotliners and jugs,but no rod and reel. Why is that?

9. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Sweet tip Jim. I'll try that next time.:big_smile:

10. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    you can also try and place one pole on each side of you poles you have out in the lake.ive caught some good flats up close to the bank at night.

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    ............................. Bank Fishing Flatheads..................................

Brian,
    For 29yrs I've fished only from the bank for cats, Big and Small rivers & creeks, ponds.. Lakes 99% of the time. I learned yrs ago from a article that was written so well and based on this same question.By one of the best Flathead hunters known that fished for them ; Mr,Roy Hoops of OHIO.He might not be with us now ?,but whoever fished with him learned how to fish with Patience. He would say:as I do now-

Rock Flats are the #1 hot spot on any Lake if they contain the-

aka " LIONS OF THE DEEP " The elusive Flathead Catfish.

It didn't matter,any Lake he went to he would hunt the rock flats down and fish them,they would put the bait pre-hooked on 14-18" leaders( 10-12" suckers ) in coffee cans,and put them in the back of a john boat.Put their reels in free spool and with enough weight to pin the big sucker on the spot,they would roll the bait out and drop them at different locations on the rock flat not far 10'or so from the edge where it drops off into deeper water ( Is the Key )and wait & wait & wait some more.:cool2:

Sometimes 2-3 nights in a roll before the Big Boy swam by and took the bait, BUT 90% of the time 50-60-70lb and he said that it might just well be the biggest one in the lake,almost as long as he was tall:eek:oooh::wink::big_smile:

This same thing I do now.The best time? Night time, Flatheads come out and roam as lions in the dark hunting for their prey ( hence the name above )

You might catch smaller ones if you use smaller baits. BUT when you fish the BIG BAIT and the kittens play around with it! and gets the Attention of the KING of the Jungle, and he comes out to play all the little cats get the heck out of his way.:wink:

I cannot count the numbers of 20-45LB Flatheads I've caught, not counting the smaller ones,I couldn't even begin to start there,:smile2: All I can say from yrs of experience with this technique. I have wore them cats out and will continue doing so as long as the Good Lord Allows me.:big_smile:

Good Luck Bro..

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Sorry guys hit the button twice:wink: tried to delete..No good.:angry:

13. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    that there is some good reading flamekeeper I enjoyed reading that very much thanks for sharing:wink:

14. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I mainly fish 3 lakes. All 3 of these lakes I fish from the bank and from boat. One of the lakes I fish from the bank because of the level of fluctuation and currently the upper end is inaccessible by boat. The other two lakes I sometimes fish by bank when the wind presents undesirable conditions on the water. I have noticed like Jim, when fishing from the bank It is important to be really quiet, most of the time. One of my bank locations is in a very popular park. There is alot of noise in this area. I'm not concerned about being as quiet here because I think the fish have gotten used to the noise. I believe that bank fisherman have an advantage to fishing closer to the shore. Sometimes you can see things in shallow areas next to the bank that you couldn't get to from a boat. Sometimes I'm able to see a group of thick weeds, drop offs, and other structure. Also when i'm fishing from a bank, I look for trees that have a large overhang over the lake. I think fish like the shady area, and also feed on bird droppings from the tree. I also factor in the wind. If the wind is blowing toward the bank i'm fishing from, I fish closer to that bank. I also try to keep my favorite bank fishing spots baited with range cubes or horse & mule feed. It keeps the bait fish around the location and draws in the bigger fish.

15. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    I enjoy bank fishing alot, Thanks for the tips Kenny. With reading from the knowledgeable catfishermen on here i do believe shore fishermen have as good an opportunity to hook into a big flat as guys on a boat in alot of places. I laugh at myself sometimes initially thinking you had to sing the bait out as far a possible for any chance of a big cat to go for it. Success rate is bound to improve with knowledge!

16. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I noticed once lake fishing from the bank we were using several different baits for channels and carp and when we would change baits every once in a while a sneaky carp would sneak right up to the edge right next to me and pick up the baits I had tossed into the water when I would change to something else that fish was pretty slick it knew where to get the food and we were casting out like 30-40 yards:angry:

17. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    readingcatfisher/Mike ; Thanks Bros, Thats what were here for Bro!
    I posted that story once before I think along time ago,but its worthy repeating several times over:big_smile:

When I read that artical,It burned into my memory,that aka name of the flathead ( Lions Of The Deep )was written in Big Bold Letters across the front page over top of a HUGE Flathead Roy was holding,I'll never forget it.I must have read that artical until the pages fell apart,thats how well it was written,like a kid with a comic book.:big_smile: I had to pick it up each time I seen it. I think about it almost ever time I'm out fishing, and it holds true to them to this day,I kid you not...

Tight Lines and a MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL BOC BRO & SISTERS. Kenny

18. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Merry Christmas &Happy New Year back at ya!!!