bank fishermen vs boat guys

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Jul 31, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i was wandering how much better you do from a boat compaired to a bank, it seems to be that the boc members with the big fish all have boats, while we get the smaller ones in less numbers, not putting down boats just wish i had one

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    You seem to be mistaken, There are "ALOT" of IMO some of the best trophy hunters on here who do nothing but bank fish:wink:

boats just get you to more spots quicker, They don't change your skill level or give you more luck by any means

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i fish from the bank only, and have landed a few nice ones.

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    after a rain ill hit the creeks so im on shore. if its been dry you will have to use a boat to get to most of my holes. i would say its 50/50 for me.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Personally I always fish from a boat, but thats because i own 2 and everyone i fish with owns one too. As far as boat fishermen being better fishermen than folks on the bank, i don't agree at all. Jack and his son catch nice fish, Griz catches nice fish. This is just a couple that come to mind who fish from the bank.

I use a boat and can't catch anything but DINKS!!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2: Must be those bank fishermen got all the best spots.:confused2:

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Obviously, boats do not make you a better fisherman, but they do give mobility. With a boat it's a lot easier to go to the fish, instead of waiting for the fish to find you. Plus, some spots, even if you can reach them from the bank, can be fished more effectively from a boat - like in a good current in a river, it's a lot easier to anchor straight up current from your target. Anytime you cast out into current from the bank, the current is going to be trying to drag your rig back to the bank the whole time. And a lot of the best holes don't have bank access.

How many bank fishermen have sat there and thought - "if I could only get down river and fish that hole!" or "Boy, I bet if I had a boat so I could get up there, it would be full or fish!" I've been there and done that!

When I first got a boat, my catch rate actually dropped for a while. I had to get used to operating the boat and learn how to find and set up on spots from a boat. The new mobility can be a bit overwhelming: maybe I should go over there? or there? what about up by the ...??? And, sometimes dealing with the boat and motor can actually get in the way of fishing, at least until you get used to it or if you have motor problems, etc.

All of that being said, I think a successful bank fisherman is possibly a bit better fisherman than the average boat fisherman, because of the handicap - they are definitely more patient, at least.

Remember one more thing, though: most every boat fisherman was a bank fisherman until they got their first boat!

7. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    The skill level is the same it's just that we have to walk or drive from spot to spot. There nothing better seeing a boat fishing the same spots that your fishing. I have never had trouble with catfisherman. Just bass fisherman and some drunk punks.

8. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have done both the boat and bank. I like both but if had to give one up it would be the boat. Why you say? Because when I am on the bank I meet new people, make new friends and have some pretty interesting conversations at times. Besides, when it is one of those nights that you don't even get a nibble at your spot on the bank and the score is 0 fish you can blame it on not having a boat!

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    While there are advantages to having a boat.......that doesn't mean that boaters catch bigger fish. I have had a boat in the past and I enjoyed it. But for the past 20 years or so , I have been a bank fisherman and proud of it. I have caught some monsters from the bank. Flatheads up to 67 lbs and bluecats up to 47 lbs. and giant stripers up to 45 lbs. with numurous fish in the 30's and 40's.....So, I think if you have a couple of good spots to fish and you have the patience you can outfish a boat everytime. The thing about fishing for big fish is you need patience and when you have a boat and you fish a spot for a little while and you dont catch one....then you tend to pull up anchor and move to another spot. If you would have just sat there for a little while longer, you might have caught the new record monster. A lot of boaters move to a new spot after only 15 minutes or so. I will sit in a spot all night. My biggest flathead of 67.2 lbs was caught on a live Bluegill that had been set out for over 3 1/2 hours. If I had moved after only 15 minutes, I probably wouldn't have caught that one and might have caught a smaller one or might not have caught anything at all. Man, that would have been a bummer!!!!!! This monster flathead now leads the Kentucky hall of fame ....check it out caught from the bank and proud of it!!!!!!:big_smile:

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've had my boat for 3 months, and was predominately a bank fisherman before that. You can catch big fish both ways, but bank fishing teaches a little more patience as far as staying in one spot. I'm still working on the learning curve for boat fishing, but it does open up a lot of new possibilities. This would have been a frustrating year to be stuck on the bank, as high water on the river has made access difficult, but with the boat I've been able to get out and fish without a problem.

I'll never give up bank fishing completely, the simplicity of grabbing a couple of poles and heading for the river is hard to beat, and there is just something about being on solid ground and being able to get up and move around. Few things compare to sitting out on the gravel bar on a hot summer night waiting for Mr Whiskers to come along.

11. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    I usually bank fish but the areas I fish has limited acess for bankmen. Now that i have my boat I belive I can really light em up. Not say it will make me a better fisherman jus that it increases your mobility and can get you places you cant from the bank.

12. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    You Know :0a14: I do a lot of bank fishing & a lot of times I wish that I had a Boat to get to those areas that I can't get to whitout one - But when you think about it fellows - 80% of the time that you fish from a boat - your close to the shoreline anyway - Right?
    :0a28:

I say - "if you got it - you got it" (Fishing Skills that is) - and believe me - "The Best of the Best are here on the B.O.C".
    :wink:

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have done both and I greatly prefer fishing from a boat because I am so much more mobile. Bank fishing is pretty limited due to getting access to private land. It is just much easier on a boat

14. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    long distance cast, fish from a boat, get it close to shore. I have never understood this. A boat = mobility, that all. Good catfishing.:wink:

15. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The main thing I enjoy about using my boat is the mobility. I can usually find a spot to fish away from everyone else. At times several of my friends gather up and we find a good bank to fish from. We fire up the coleman lanterns and sit back in chairs with rods in rod holders and wait for them to start biting.

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    without reading a single post but yours ive caught only 2 catfish this year compared to about 60+:sad2:and those two from my uncles boat. mine is in repair. i simply do not like or do no good banking. im a skipper through my veins. take my boat take my soul.:eek:oooh:

but ive recently sat in the nest of skeeters with my lantern trying. hell i love fishing. and a cold beer. they were married from the time rods and cans were invented. so with or without. ill be going. but i eat more when im sailing aboard the CATillac. MY BOAT that is.

i catch most of my catfish in the center of the lake here. hundreds apon hundreds of yard beyond bank casting. and on private banks. where its illegal to be on the bank in that area. its a nucular reactor lake. get on some land ya might be shot after 9/11. one part is off limits in front of the intake. used to be prior to 9/11 the best catfishing. but i value my life.

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    sure miss old phillip bert. he was such a down to earth guy and often made me think across the board on things i didnt like. i did some trading with him on here. actually bought his stars for a tidewater reel. some members ya cant replace. hes one. again im sorry for your loss. i can only immagine your lose as having his as a friend face to face. hes missed here thought never even met him in person. god bless his family.

18. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    From 1960 to 1981 I was a bank fisherman and caught some nice ones and had a great time. Got a small boat with a 9.9 Evinrude some time in 1981 and started catching small channel cats. Did not have any electronics until 1985 and then my catches and sizes started to improve. Where I'm located at now, there are only two legal places to bank fish on 520 miles of shoreline and this is a shame, but that it is the way it is!

19. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I most certainly agree with thise statement...the river I fish mainly goes thru private property...I know of manyy nice holes I could fish from the bank, but getting permission is almost impossible...I catch a few nice fish from a couple of bank spots I have, but I am sure I could catch mnay more if I fished from a boat and could get to these private places.

20. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Although I feel your pain for not haveing a boay ( I dont have one either ) I have caught my largest Flathead at 52# from the bank. And my largest Blue at 37.5# from Metalman's boat... I agree that its a 50/50.. If you know the water and the structure and depths in the area you can find the fish...