bank fishermans help

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by beertools, Apr 30, 2009.

1. beertools

beertools New Member

State:
    georgia
    Sorry I keep posting this in the wrong place!
    was fishing this last week, when I came across a good Idea. I was using clip on bells to detect when I was getting a bite. When I would set the hook the bells would fall into the water. I was losing bells left and right. 2 bells cost 2-3 dollars. On a good night this can add up! So I took a cheap plastic round bobber/float and drilled a hole in it. Then I put about 4-5 bbs in it. Then I taped over the hole. Then I turn the bobber/float upside down and clipped the hook onto the top eye of my rod. When I got a bite it would rattle. If it fell into lake, it would float and I could dip it out. Remember to take it off before you cast!:wink:

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Remember to take it off before you cast!

Word of advice: If you can, take it off before you set the hook. If the fish has the bait and is running, there should be no problem taking the bell off before setting the hook.

3. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    That sounds like it works pretty good.I had the same problem so I went and got some safety pins and bells at the hobby lobby and put them on my pole cost about $4 bucks and you have enough bells for the year and they will not come off when you throw your rod.

4. beertools

beertools New Member

State:
    georgia
    Recordbreakin1 that is a good idea(buying bells at a craft store) but I have lost bells with safety pins, bread ties, and string. SNAFU, crap happens. Bells don't float so it is hard to get them back. I think it might be a good idea to use both. One pole with your idea and the other with mine. That way you can tell which pole is biting.:wink:

5. Puddin_114

Puddin_114 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Bells are ok, but here where we night fish on the bank we use those glow sticks like kids get at a party. U can pick em up at a dollar store / dollar tree think its 8 n a pack for a $1 they are about 6 1/2 in long and very small in diameter... just put it down the spine of ur rod put one end of the stick just below the tip eye and run a strip of tape around it then lay on spine of rod and tape that end... really works great & dosent bother performance of the rod... it looks like a rainbow with all ur rods lined down the bank but it looks really awesome when u see a color fall out of the rainbow as the rod tip slams down toward the water!!:wink:

6. frownie1

frownie1 New Member

State:
    washington
    i used glow sticks for years but now i use the glow wrap on the top of my pole its cheap and you do have to put light on it once in a while but it works great the other thing i started to do this year is use a 12 volt black light from wally world and with a batterie and some white paint you can really see the tip bounce and it doesnt blind you like a lantern

7. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Just get a decorative bell at walmart or any craft shop. Take a keychain ring the kind with the snapping clasp. Put the bell on the ring. Then put in on the little support to the rod tip guide. You can cast, set a hook or whip a cotton mouth to death and it will stay on.

8. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    using flourescent line or flurocarbon with those black lights and the wrap would be a good combo also. My buddy uses it, and it lights up the line with a bright blue glow, easy to see and easy to detect even the faintest of bites.

9. catfishassassin

catfishassassin New Member

State:
    ohio
    until this year i dead lined all my poles, i normally night fish, but have started using glow sticks on my cigar bobbers, and catfish bells. eagle claw makes a REAL good glow in the dark bell set that screws on your pole tip, but if u set the hook like i do you will still lose em probably. a couple buddies feed a SMALL amount of line out and clip a cheap small round bluegill bobber on the fed out line half way down your rod,so when u get hit you will see the bobber bounce when the line tightens. i prefer to watch my pole tip bend though, if u aint watchin your pole tip u aint fishin

10. Graham

Graham New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have a length of line tied to the clip on the bell. On the other end is a snap link. I attach the line via the snap link to whatever I'm resting my rod on and when I set the hook, the clip comes off the rod, but is still attached to the rod rest. Just a matter of clipping it back on after the next cast.