bank fire

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by head hunter, Dec 19, 2009.

1. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    Is it legal to have a fire on the banks of ohio river ?? (ohio and kentucky)
    thanks.

2. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Most of the land bordering the river is privately owned. So if the property owner does't have a problem with it you can build a fire. At ramps ,I doubt if it is legal but I see quite a few people doing it.

3. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Not quite sure about the Ohio River. But around here on the Muskingum River. The DNR tend to frown upon it. Unless they are in a State approved fire ring. On several occasions they have had us put our fires out... Been tempted on a few occasions to snatch up one of the state ones, and keep it in the back of the truck. So I could set it up anywhere. But I try to be honest and legal. As not to bring any bad karma upon me. Might just take measurements on the one close by to me, and make my own for this coming year...

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    over here on the GMR i have never had anyone say anything about a fire, rangers, cops, no one. not to say they dont want any fires but so far havent seen a sign or heard of a rule against it. hope to God your river never makes "scenic river" status or your fire days are over for sure! unless its a remote spot or a well known spot i wont build one anyways. when at my "honey holes" i never have a fire to give away my spot/location. nothing like having a fire bankside cookin hotdogs and drinkin a cold-one while fishing!

5. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    when i fish on the OH side of the Greenup L & D we build fires never had anyone say anything. i dont know about the legal end of it though.

6. Catfish_Rob

Catfish_Rob New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    I never have any trouble. Usually people don't give a crap as long as you make a nice pit and it isn't a huge bonfire. I have had cops come up and talk to me on the banks of the little miami and the ohio river, and they didn't seem to care. They were always more interested in what I was fishing for.

Catfish_Rob

7. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    The way I understood things: If it's a Federal waterway, (i.e., the Ohio, Muskingum....) you can leagally have a fire. But, if it's a State waterway, (the Scioto, Olentangy, and most lakes(uncertain about the GMR and others)), you can not.

It's also possible that I am wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. :)

8. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    just get you an old truck rim 20 or 22'' rim they make a good fire ring just go around some trucking companies or truck tire shops im sure they have some cracked ones laying around

9. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio

You can just give me one of your's Keith. You don't really need all them tires on your rig do you? lol.....

10. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Never really had any issues with ODNR when building a fire. I tend to believe it's just according to where your at and the surroundings.