Bank Depth/Fish Finder

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by ramon06, Oct 3, 2009.

1. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hey just wondering have any of you guys tried the Rod/Reel style Depth/Fish finder they sell at Wal-Mart? Just wondering is it accurate as far as showing the depth you're fishing and if theres fish there, if it is I think it is worth the $100 investment

2. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    from what i remember there was a problem with the transducer it was easy to break and it only has a 75 ft range.

3. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I've kinda wondered about those little things myself.

4. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Lol, what?
    Link me to this thing.
    I may try it. :smile2::smile2:

5. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have the Smartcast and it works great for me..

6. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
  7. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    wow...that looks worth trying...

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    that may soon become yet another $$$ investment $$$ for fishing that i make.... i need to just open a bait store and buy everything off of my self... i would be a millionaire...hahahaha

9. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    EDIT: Nevermind, I'll assume the actual sonar sensor floats - which will make it hard for us river fisherman. I wish I could throw it out there with a sinker, but that'll more than likely get it snagged.

And it only has a 100 ft range, pretty sure I cover that in just about every cast.

I'd really like to try this, but I need to find a good review first. For $170.00 I want it to do the job effectively.

10. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    $170 and 100 ft range?

Check this one out:
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_58941_250003000_250000000_250003000_250-3-0

I haven't used mine in years. I'm not even sure what model it is but I'm sure it's the same as the one above. I used it in ponds and the depth seemed be accurate.

I don't trust any electronic device to show me fish, or show lack of fish, so for that I can't comment on, but for finding the depth and finding dropoffs and underwater structure it should be perfect for that.

11. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,ve had one for a couple years.Picked mine up on sale for $49.I see em on sale still around $50.It don,t give you the detail of a large unit, but it does get the job done fine.It comes in handy for scoping out a new section of river quickly.There was a guy that was running an ad for bait boats to tow the transducer around and he also upgraded the units to have a 500ft range of operation.:wink:

12. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I got a bait boat, that would be cool to drop of your line in the exact spot you wanted. Why did someone have to bring up another investment, lol.?

13. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    From what I have seen and heard the smartcast works pretty well.

Ray

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have one too, won it in a BOC contest we called (The BOC Survivor)
    I'm very satisfied with mine. Don't let the transducer hit anything but water. I saw a guy throw one that landed on the hard ground, a definite no no, that's half the cost of you original unit to replace. You must keep the two silver diodes on the bottom of the transducer clean, any oil even from your fingers will block a true reading and register 0 feet. I like to pull mine behind my little Jon boat, works great for that. The batteries last a long time too.

PS JBrooks, Keep the sinkers off! they have to float just like a boat :wink::smile2:

15. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    The rod mounted one that was just posted isd the one I was talking about for $99. It mounts to the rod and it lookls like it just might work and I wanted to know had anyone tried this. :wink:

16. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Where'd you get yours?

17. L2druid

L2druid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wow..what a neat thread. I always want to know the depth of places I fish, and knowing where the fish are would be a plus. I didn't even know they made fishfinders like this. The portable ones like the one that goes on your reel look nice and I would love to have one if they work well.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  18. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Cabelas runs them on sale fairly often,thats where I picked mine up.:wink: