bank accessable deep holes on Meramec?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Hurricane, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    Anybody know where some deeper water can be found on the Meramec that I can get to from the bank? I want to find some deeper water since it will be getting cold soon, I've been fishing at Flamm, Arnold park boat launch, and under the HWY 21 bridge but it is pretty shallow at those spots.

Chris

2. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Unless it's flooded there are no deep holes on the Meramec...in fact contrary to popular belief (and many fibs told by Mr. Knuckles) there are no fish in the Meramec either......unless your looking for Gar or Carp.:roll_eyes:

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I saw a guy catch a drum there, once. Oh, and another time, I had a asian carp jump as I went by in the boat.:wink:

4. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Hey Chris, It is tough to find a deep hole in the Meramec but that dosent mean the fish are not there. I have caught plenty of fish from about 5 to 1 foot of water on the Meramec. The last time it was real low ( to low to put a boat in) I Caught a few 2 to 4lb fish. Although i did sit for a while. I found that the bite was always early from about 7am to 10am then would shut off like a lite. It was so low then you could walk out on the gravel bar 40 yrds pass the boat ramp over to the channel.

A lot of times the bigger ones i caught were on frozen shad and cut bait.

Good Luck and maybe well get together soon and do some bank fishing.:big_smile:

5. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    Hey Manny,

Yeah I've been bank fishing mainly under the 21 bridge, there seems to be some good structure in both directions of the bridge and the water depth looks to be the same all the way across the river. I know there are a couple in there so I'll keep at it. I've been bringing a lite rod with me and fishing for bait with that. Mainly just looking for some new spots to hit.

6. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    There is a park and walking trail on meramec bottom road between the river and where you turn to go to suson park, this section of the river is directly across form the gravel operation and there is some deep water there, but the banks a steep so you are limited to where you can get down to the river edge to fish.

Also north of the 21 bridge there is a road right next to the baseball fields that is owned by the county and you might find deep water there.
    catch a big one for me.:big_smile:

7. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    Thanks Kennylee, I'll do a drive by on my way home from work and check it out.

8. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    Hey Kenny,

I drove by there and found the park access but I didn't have time to walk down the trail to the river. Where is the road by the baseball fields? I looked for it but could find it. You are talking about the baseball fields off of Meramec Bottom road right, on the right heading toward hwy55?

9. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    I am deeply offeded that you have besmirched my good name,Mr.Butler.Seriously,though,I have caught two Channel cats over ten pounds from the Mermac this year.My best spot is a deep hole near the confluece of the Mississippi.I got them both on Shad heads.Hurricane,it's fairly deep under the Jeffco bridge on 61-67.Long casts may be needed,but it's worth a try.

10. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Hey Michael, I too have caught 2 fish over 10lbs this year on the Meramec, insight of the Flam City boat ramp. A 10lb Blue and 15.5lb channel most of the time i catch them in the 1 to 5 lb range. Its been a long time since i have been skunked on the Meramec ( Knock on wood).

11. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I know there are fish in that river guys, I only said that cause I've heard it so many times from others...lol I haven't had much luck myself fishing it here in the last few years, but back in the 80's- early 90's I fished it alot with my dad and we pulled alot of fish out just above the 21 bridge and quite a few large fish as well.

12. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    I know what you mean.It seems like the big flood chased the cats from the river.On the same note,however,the floods of late seem to be bringing them back.Maybe soon,the Mermac will be known for catfishing,again.

13. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    I think it's coming back, Manny caught a nice channel this past saturday around the 5 or 6 pound range.

14. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    I hope so.I don't live 5 minutes from 2 points on the Mermac.Right between the Jeffco bridge and Flamm City.I used to catch some nice Flatheads from both spots.I'd love to again.

15. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    Yeah I'm right up telegraph in Apple Valley, less than 5 minutes from Flamm City. Would be nice if the fishing picks up in the Meramec since it so close to run down there and wet a line.

16. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Well,the waters high enough,for the time being.B.T.W.,Hurricane,do you know a guy that lives by you named Rich Cartee?Just wondering.Anyway,Flamm is near 11ft. deep.it's navigable to near 8.You should be able to fish from bank for a few days,at least.

17. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    No I don't know Rich, does he live in Apple Valley and does he fish for Mr. Whiskers too? I haven't been down by Flamm since last week, I guess it has been on the rise with rain we had. I'll probably run down there this weekend and see if I can get something to bite, maybe even tomorrow night.

18. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    It's no big deal abuot Rich.Let me know how you do if you manage to go.I'll have to wait til next week,my dad's being checked for an anuriesm this week.

19. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    Yeah I'll keep you posted. Hope everything turns out ok with your dad.

20. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Sorry for the delayed responce, been in the woods, at hwy 21 at the meramec, south is mereamec bottomes road and north is butler hill road, there is a remote control air strip on the butler hill past that about 1/2 mile the road bends to the right and the ball fields are on the left the road is dirt or gravel just past the ball fields, you can't drive down it but the river is not that far.