Band saw

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by samh, Apr 14, 2007.

1. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I'm lust'n real bad for a band saw to add to my toys, er tools, in my shop. Home Depot has a 14 inch Ridgid with a 3/4 hp motor for $345, Lowes has a 14 inch Delta with 3/4 hp motor for $375, Sears Craftman 12 inch with 3/4 hp motor is $329 or a 14 inch with a 1 hp for $500,these are the only ones I could find around here, any larger and the $$ go way up. These seem like these have the most bang for the buck.. Anyone got either one of these and any comments on them?

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Make sure what ever you buy, Will allow you to add a Riser Block to it. As that will allow you to turn your 14" saw into a saw that will cut taller stock when you find out in a few weeks. Man I wish my 14" saw would cut taller stock. LOL
    I went with a Grizzly saw. But mine is the 17" had to save a little longer for it.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/category.aspx?key=420000
    If buying local. I would look hard at the Delta.
    Pete

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I have a 14" Delta but its not the same one you are looking at. 20 years ago it was 450 and last time I saw one it was in the 750 range.

I like mine other then a 14" saw just isnt enough for bigger projects.

I would look for - heavy cast iron table not thin cast iron. Look at the wheels. I recomend heavy wheels, and adjustable blade guides with bearings down at the table.

And dont come home without casters for it if its as heavy as mine.:big_smile:

4. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Thanks guys, I've moved from the look'n, lust'n and want'n stage, to the I'm fix'n to get one stage. Just got'a decide which one.

5. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Unless Craftsman has really improved a lot, you don't want that one. The Delta is a pretty good saw. I have one of the old Rockwell and it is about like the one MarkJ is talking about. I have never been sorry that I bought the ole Rockwell and it is right at 40 years old and still going strong.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

Mark most of them you can buy a riser kit. That allows you to change yours from cutting 6" high stock to 12" stock.
    Would that help?
    Also my 17" had aluminum wheels and does fine.
    Pete

7. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Sam

If you live around a fairly good size town there will be some cabinet maker shops. Visit one of these and casually ask about what band saw they use.

Just make sure you let them know you're not going to be competition for them.

While in the conversation they will usually steer you to someone that may have a good used one for sale. The person may be upgrading of downsizing his shop. I have done this in the past and it has helped in finding what I needed for alot less than the price of a new tool.

Jesse

8. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    OK guys, here's another one a friend showed me, it's a Grizzly for $435 , anyone know anything about Grizzly tools?

Deluxe heavy-duty stand
    1 HP motor
    Upper and lower ball bearing blade guides are standard
    All ball bearing construction
    4" dust port
    Includes one 3/8" blade, fence and miter gauge
    2 speeds
    Fence scale with magnifying window
    Optional Riser block kit (H3051) available.

Specifications:
    Cutting capacity/throat: 13-1/2"
    Maximum cutting height: 6"
    Overall size: 66-1/2"H x 26-3/8"W x 30-1/4"D
    Table height above floor: 43-5/16"
    Table tilt: 45° right, 10° left
    Frame construction: Cast iron
    Table construction: Precision ground cast iron
    Fence construction: Deluxe extruded aluminum
    Wheels: Fully balanced cast aluminum with rubber tires
    Motor: 1 HP, TEFC, 110V / 220V single phase, 1725 RPM
    Amps: 10@110V / 5@220V
    Blade speeds: 1500 & 3200 FPM
    Blade size: 92 1/2 - 93-1/2" (1/8" to 3/4" wide)
    Table size: 14" x 14"
    Approximate shipping weight. 210 lbs.

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sam I don't have one but I have other Delts saws and like them very much.

Danny

10. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Sam, I would be happy with a Grizzley. They are building them by far better than they use to. Most of the big tools now come from China including the name brand tools. It is really hard to find a tool made in the USA anymore.

11. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I would get a Jet or Grizzly before I bought a Delta. Delta is not what they used to be. I have a Delta 9" that is totally useless.