Bamboo

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Nobody Special, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Anyone have any bamboo? My stepson was going to order some for himself and my wife decided she had to have some too. He ordered 4 plants for himself and 4 for us. Ours was the kind that grows 30-40' and his was the kind that grows up to 70'. He decided he didn't want but one plant of his so he gave us the rest.

From what I read, this stuff spreads like wildfire. We planted ours near the edge of the woods out back and I figured I could keep it from spreading too much into the yard by mowing it down (I hope).

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I thought about planting some but it wasnt going to be on my land.:oops:

I was going to plant it down on the branch on the paper land next to me.
    I've seen that bamboo eradicated out of back yards before. It involves a dozer and moving alot of dirt. Just like trying to get rid of Kudzu.

3. GS-Rock

GS-Rock New Member

State:
    FORT SILL, OK
    i got some growing in the back yard, it must be a different kind than yours becuase it only grows about 25-30 feet the trunk is only about 6-10 inches thick, my brother comes over and makes bowls out of them they do spread fast making a natural wall also made good wind stoppers and block the noise from a busy street, well thats just what i think

4. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    Ididnt know bamboo can grow in cold weather
    maybe Ill plant some

5. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
  6. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Mark, my neighbors have Bamboo, it grows like crazy. From what they tell me, new sprouts grow up from the existing roots. Stalks have grown from sprouts to full size plants in just over a week, no kidding. They said they started with just a few plants, now they have a grove. I'll take some pics and try to get them up.

PS, my twins love to play in the bamboo, and Ethan (who looks more like I do than Eli) pretends he is in Thailand. lol

7. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Our back yard fence backs up to a school ballfield and the noise and lights are not very pleasant. I have been thinking about planting cane instead of the privy hedge that is growing there now. I hate the privy hedge.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There are lots of different types of bamboo. My brother in law has some that grows to about 20', which is just about right for fishing.

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yep it grows here in kentucky see it all the time on the expressway they put it there for noise reduction and wind break id like to have some but i dont own the land i live on i rent but would say it would make a good privacy fence

10. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    There was some(don't know which strain) used to grow on rental property I took care of.
    I'd mow it down and the next week it'd be 2 feet tall agian.

11. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Take my word for it you do not want to get Bamboo started on your place.
    You can not keep it in check.I planted some here about 45 years ago.
    It will take over every thing.My wife and I try to stay on top of it we cut it every spring and all summer and burn it.The roots will come up 20 feet away from the main stalk.I have never been able to find any thing to kill it.What ever size it comes out of the ground that is the size it will be when it is grown.I would not wish this on any one.

:cry: :waaaht: :too_sad: :ah:

:cat: