Bamboo for days!

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by bigwhiskers, Dec 29, 2007.

1. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Howdy Brothers and Sisters,
    Does anyone here in NC need/want any old growth bamboo? I've got it up to three inches in diameter. I can't even see the barn on the old place because of it. Dad made a bad choice in '80 by planting it as a windbreak. It'll only cost you time and a little bit of effort to get it. I'll even help you cut it!
    Bigwhiskers

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If I was closer, I would have to jump on some of it.

3. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    yep, me too if I was closer I would get a load of it.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    NO, when that stuff takes root, there aint no getting rid of it. Its worse then Kudzu.:wink:

5. shawn white

shawn white New Member

State:
    nc
    it at my mom house

6. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    I agree Mark. The offer was for cut bamboo poles, absolutely not for planting! I am trying to get rid of it. I wouldn't wish that stuff on anyone:eek:oooh: !!

7. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I want to plant some between my house and the highway to cut down on road noise.I don't care how much it grows because that will be less I'll have to mow.

8. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Be careful Karma, the original planting was in 1980 around the back side of the barn. Dad planted three shoots for a wind break starter. The place has been empty except for a few renters, and now the stand of bamboo has totally hidden a four stall barn with sheds on two sides. It has grown out from the woodline about 100 ft. I guess I need to get out there with a sub-soiler and rip it all up. I can get a soil sterilant that is supposedly good for five years, but I'm alittle gunshy about using it there. Oh well, you're a little far to ride over and pick some up but, if you want some, it'll produce some new shoots this spring. Fed-Ex or UPS?

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Look up Austree.

10. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Thanks Mark, I'll check it out.
    Bigwhiskers

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Before you plant the stuff, you need to install a barrier to keep the roots from running outside the area you want bamboo. Depending on the height the bamboo gets, this barrier needs to be anywhere from 18" to 36" deep. While steel or concrete works, the cheapest way it probably to buy roll plastic specifically made for this purpose. (I've been doing some research; thinking of putting in some to grow my own bank poles.) Incidentally, there are two main types: a running type, where the roots send out runners; and clumping type, where the roots simply form large clumps. This second type is not bad about spreading, the way the running type is. But it's mainly the ornamental types. The types used for fishing poles, building, etc. are all classified as timber bamboos, and are all the running type.