Balloons for reservoir flatheads

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Cactus Cat, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Cactus Cat

Cactus Cat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I have noticed the balloon threads mostly apply to rivers. I am looking at using them in a reservoir from shore. The reservoir has flatheads up to 70 pounds and a lot of 15-25 pound fish. It is a very rocky reservoir and you tend to lose a lot of rigs there on the bottom the other problem is that the larger flatheads will bring you down into the rocks and will break you off regardless of line strength. It also is relatively deep I am thinking that by covering more ground with the balloons it will also cross paths with the more active fish as well. Ideally with the balloons I would try and hit them pretty quick with a hookset before they have a chance to get down in the rocks. I am looking for any feedback, opinions or suggested rigging to accomplish this. If I can figure out the best way to do it I am very confident it would outperform the standard bottom slip sinker rigs that get lost so often. Have at it wise men and thanks for your help!

2. flatheadfisher

flatheadfisher New Member

State:
    NC
    Long rods and braided line should help with quick contact with the fish.

3. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I would add this thought. If there is a bank, instead of fishing from down by the water use long rods and fish from up on the bank. More of your effort will be used in keeping the fish up instead of pulling him in towards you. I've used this from river banks that are lined with rocks to keep the fish from going into the rocks on the banks.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    intresting subject. i have seen guys use them but i havent. ill have to check back in here as well. thanks.

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    i also seen guys use them. they seem to work well as floats.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    im sure they will work very well as drift rigs for you. i just tie mine on(on to the line above the sinker) with a double over hand knot, so i can adjust the depth by just sliding it up or down the line. make sure you wet the balloons knot, when sinching it, to get it real tight on the line. you said the waters are pretty deep. in order to fish them real deep you will have to rig them like a slip bobber. hard to cast anything over 8 ft tied directly to the line. to rig this tie the balloon onto a 1in. chunk of tubing(like some air line from a fish tank airator) then rig as you would any slip bobber.

7. Polish Moose

Polish Moose New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with river scum, the depth would be the major problem. The rig could become rather cumbersome.

8. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I've used them in rivers and lakes and had good luck.

9. LinebBoatRunner

LinebBoatRunner New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    its hard to describe the the rig im talkin about.if your usin a baloon, and lettin the wind push you out. all you need is some lifesavers candy and some telephone wire. tie your float directly to your line, use the wire (2 inches or so) and wrap it around the base of the baloon leaving enough slack to tie on the candy.then take the baited hook and hook it in the candy. depending on the depth you can have a lot of slack. take the slack and fold it over and over in 1 ft lengths, run the end of the looped slack through the candy. you can throw this rig a littlie ways, but if you throw too hard you will break the candy. once its in the water the candy will dissolve in about 15 min, dropping the hook sinker and the looped slack to the desireded depth. this method also requires a good wind going in the right direction

10. Polish Moose

Polish Moose New Member

State:
    Illinois
    LineBoatRunner that certainly is a creative way of doing it. How deep have you fished that rig? My only question would be does the line ever tangle up on you when you fold it and it starts sinking?

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    JJ. I fish with fellow member Gene Chambers"s (KatBobbers). Big lakes and reservoirs are the best place to use them. They cast a lot better than balloons. Hang a live Blue gill and get ready for some fun! Check e'm out here:big_smile:----Wild Wolf Products

12. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I agree with Jack,Gene's katbobbers would be a good way to go.You can use them during the day or at night if you install a light stick. I would probably suggest 6" bobbers.The larger bobber helps keep the fish from diving deep when hooked.As you pull the fish in to the bank ,the bobber helps keep them headed to the top. JMO Allen

13. Cactus Cat

Cactus Cat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Jack Thanks for the good info I checked them out they look good. What size do you recommend and also what is the process with them taking the bait and with a circle or kahle - do they load up themselves how long do you wait etc. I also would be interested to know if there are a lot of missed fish when using these - Thanks again

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use Kahles, but I would fish circles the same. When a big cat picks up your bait zoom! there goes the bobber. lol Either tight line when you get it close to where you want to fish, or grab your rod lock it in and hang on. A cat will hook it's self when you apply the pressure. You already know not to jerk when using a circle. Like I said I use kahles so after I feel good resistance I pull back hard to try and get the hook in as deep as I can. I'll tell ya what though It's pretty darn cool seeing your bobber at night with a golwstick in heading out under the water! lol, oh yeah 4" or 6" to catch the wind if you want to fish that way:0a26:

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i agree, i haven't bought any of genes bobbers yet. i have been making my own floats for a while now, but i did buy the glowsticks off of gene. 500 to be exact, and have to say they are really nice glowsticks! and you can't beat the price of them!!!!:wink: rollo

16. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I use the Kat Bobbers as well. When they get hit, they usually run for a couple feet or so then slam, down it goes under water and it's fish on. They will load up the rod the same, they don't seem to even notice or care about the extra tension from the bobber. I use circles with them, and they hook themselves. The size you need will depend on the size of your rigging. If fishing live gills for flatheads I would opt for the larger bobbers.