Balloons for bank fishing?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by target33, Mar 23, 2008.

1. target33

target33 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey guys has anyone heard of a using balloons get bait to deeper water while bank fishing? My first question: is it legal.....and what is the best way to set up. I am always open to new techniques especially if they work and will not cost me a hefty fine.

2. jlwhite405

jlwhite405 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Welcome to the BOC Chris! I've seen people doing this before. Not sure what the best way to rig it would be. I saw a video with Tim Smith of lake keystone, where he would suspend his rig with a balloon to drift it in close to the dam. He attached the main line to the balloon using a lifesaver candy, which will disolve in about 10 to 15 minutes and allow the bait to fall to the bottom. It wasn't a very detailed video so I dont know how well it works. sounds like a good way to get the bait out there a ways.

3. jlwhite405

jlwhite405 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Might want to put a recovery line on the baloon if you use that method. wouldnt want to trash up the lake.

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC I havent ever used a ballon, but if you try it let us know how it does

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Chris, I see you finally got past that big, bad, tenth post and are now ready for the full privileges of the B.O.C. Here is a link you may want to bookmark for future references. I have normally received an answer in 3 to 5 work days...

askwarden@odwc.state.ok.us

Just send them an e-mail with your question. Captain Decker will normally be the individual responding. I have not seen anything in the wildlife pamphlet which prohibits the use of balloons, but I'd hate to think of them littering a shoreline or being swallowed by a fish.

6. target33

target33 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I guess I thought the stayed on but I guess that is why I'm had to ask. If I do try this I will use some kind of retrieval method. I hate seeing any litter around the lakes. I think I will still keep looking for a boat to get me out there though!

7. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    i have used ballons before below dams on the verdigris. i used the wind to push my bait to the other side. i would use 2 to 3 balloons tied to my line. very fun fishing. a few things you MUST do. one is decide the depth you are going to fish at. tie a barrel to your main line. then tie a piece of braided line to it for your desired depth. you tie your balloon/balloons,sinker, and hook to this line. if you don't have this braided line a fish will break it very easily when he hits it. you are actually jug fishing with a rod. when the wind is taking your balloons and you are feeding line be careful because your line will sink and get hung up on bottom. you must try too keep the slack out of it. this method is hard to do if there is any current at all. hope this help. btw when a good fish hits it he will hook itself. i suggest a nice size perch or shad (live) for bait.

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I'm sure Albert McGhee, one of our BOC guides will be along with an answer shortly. I know from a previous post that he is knowledgeable in this area.

9. handyronokc

handyronokc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma ( Central )
    Chris, the state record Flattie was taken on a balloon rig at El Reno lake. the lake is laid out perfect for that when the summer south wind is prevailing.

10. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have used them. you can use an ink pen with every thing removed and a large bead to make a slip rig. a lot cheaper than large floats.

11. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    I've never heard of a balloon rig, but now I can't wait to try it!

I love this place, you learn somethin' new every day!

:cool2:

12. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    never heard of a balloon rig:cat:

13. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    Try it and tell us how it does.

14. target33

target33 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The boys have a 3 day weekend and the wife is out of town. We are going to hit hard all weekend. We are going to try to find some Crappie early and hit the cats late. We have been experimenting in the jet tub with different rigs (wife was not amused) and I think I am ready to test it out. I'll let you know!

15. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    For more info on balloons look up " Striper drift Fishing ". Its a common method used by them. To be honest its not worth the trouble. We use to use them but we found it much easier to use a big round float instead. They are big round foam floats with a special clip on it that holds the line. They are white/red and are a good 3" across. I don't have one here at the house or I would take a pic for ya.

Experiment with the balloons some and if it becomes a pain try out the big round floats instead.

16. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i experimented in my fish tank first. i wanted a good weight ratio. i found ballons are harder to cast. but i used a normal bobber stop . followed by my bead. then i used a swivel. one that one end is a round whole. then the other end is a snapp type swivel. that opens and closes. i run my main line through the whole end of the swivel. right after the bead. then folloed by sinker then leader or what not. i unclasp the snap swivel. and i run the tag end of my ballon . the part bellow your ballon knot. and i push it through the lose ballon several times. more for added strenght . then i resnapp the swivel. now you have a free sliddin ballon rig. and i love this set up . cause if you decided to go bottom fishing .. just unclsp the swivel. take ballon off. leave swivel. you now can switch from bottom to ballon rig with out retieing line or leaders or hooks. i found a slightly to big ballon . and in the size fish i catch. its just to big . small ballon can hold big weight and bait good..

17. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I use a balloon under certain specific conditions of river fishing. First and formost, there must be current or wind as a motive force to move the balloon rig in the desired direction.

I rig up as if using a slip-bobber only in the position of the sliding bobber, I substitute a large snap-swivel on the mainline with a bead before and after it.

Slip-Bobber

First, slide a bobber stop up the line and snug it so that it will not fall back down the line. Follow it with a small bead and then a large bead that will not pass through the hole of the bobber. Thread on the bobber and then a small sinker. Tie on a swivel to stop the sinker, then add a leader and preferred hook. At this point, the bobber will slide down to the swivel. Adjust the bobber stop to the depth you wish to fish and tighten. If you use the yarn bobber stop, do not trim the ends. Test the rig to assure that the bobber is not overweighted by the sinker and bait. If it is, reduce the size of the sinker and try again.

See this Alternative Drifting Technique for more information

Set the bobberstop for the depth you want to fish at the destination area. If the deployment area is shallower and will not allow your rig to travel, simply slide the swivel with balloon attached toward the bait and weight, bend a loop in the line and thread it through the center hole of a "Lifesaver" candy, open the loop and put the candy through the loop making a slip-knot that will straughten itself when the candy dissolves, releasing the line and allowing the balloon to slide up the line to the bobberstop.

The balloon is almost totally impossible to cast any distance at all, so instead, deploy it by releasing it in the water, allowing the wind or current to carry it toward the dam or other area you are wanting to fish.

If you are using the wind as the motive force, use the largest balloon you can find. The larger surface area will catch more wind and move faster. If using the current, simply allow the rig to pull line from the reel as it is needed. WARNING! When allowing the line to pay out, keep an eye on the balloon for indication of a strike. A large fish can spool you quick before you know it.

I use circle hooks exclusively on a balloon rig because it is impossible to set the hook with the rod from 300 yards or more.

Use two or more balloon rigs at the same time at your own peril. Every time I tried to, all rigs were hopelessly tangled.

Good Luck and Great fishing!

18. target33

target33 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Great stuff, I appreicate all the tips!!!

19. Stoneman187

Stoneman187 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Below the dam to get the line much farther out. I works good most of the time but you may get tangled in pelicans legs. I had two tangled in my line one day last year now when that happens and they fly or try and fly away it is miserable to get them off. Pulling in and releasing a mad big bird like that is not a lot of fun. It's more work than several large fish!:embarassed:

20. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I can appreciate the problem with a pelican... somethin that big is mighty dangerous!

I managed to tangle up a cormorant last year. It was half drowned when I dragged it over the side into the bost... by the time I got him caught, he was fit to be tied and I wuz bleeding from multiple beak cuts on my hands and arms.

I finally got him inside my jacket and cut the line off his legs. Sure was tempted to cut the little beggar's throat... but that meant getting his head back out of the tightly rolled jacket. I jest throwed the jacket, bird and all to the bow deck and let him free himself and fly away. He sh** on my jacket for good measure!:angry:

Gotta watch those big birds... they'll hurt you!