Ballooning anyone?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by gilmafam, Dec 15, 2006.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Just wondering if you all have ever used balloons for drifting? For offshore sword fish or tuna they use kites..... Out here on the west coast saltwater, we use balloons to wind drift sardines/anchovies into kelp lines... I have use the Thill floats, and other "bobber things"... casta bubbles etc.for cattin, .. have you or do you use balloons to get bait where it needs to be?

bayrunner ray

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I tried it fishing large live bait at the dam and bass fishing in Florida. It worked well in Florida and with limited success at the dam. I have seen guys using them for shark fishing off the keys and having pretty good luck.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    A friend uses them unweighted to float big gar baits for gator gar and longnose.

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have used them fishing for Bass with a large shiner works good:smile2:

5. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Ray, recently there was a column by Carrie Wilson who is a marine biologist for the F&G in W.O.N. about fishing with balloons and though she said it was legal to use them you have some way to recover the broken balloon to keep from gettin a ticket for littering. :crazy:

6. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Used them for northerns and they work well but you need braided line if you want relaible hook-sets at range.