Ballistic Tips vs. Power Point

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by derbycitycatman, Nov 1, 2005.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I just started reloading and have loaded 20 pp and can also load 20 ballistic.
    Im planning on practicing mostly with the pp then a few ball. to zero in and then hunt with the ballistics. Is there a major difference between them and what theyll do to deer. Ive never hunted with ballistic tips before just pp and theyve done the job. BTW most shots are inside of 150 yards, usually more like 50-100. These bullets are 150 grain although I do have some 125 ballistics as well.

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I'll let other more knowledgable chime in on the differences,but I will add this.After you zero in,run 5 or 10 rounds of the ammo you will be hunting with.Not all ammo shoots the same.Hate to find out that when a 12 pointer is in your sights :(

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Brian, you don't mention the caliber you're loading for, or what type weapon. If you are new to reloading, be certain to use a good manual, and start your loads at least 15% below maximum, or as recommended by the manual. Load several rounds with different powder/bullet/primer combinations (even case brands) and shoot a target from a bench rest. Keep careful records as you go, to determine which combination shoots best in your gun. Often you will find the most accurate load is not the fastest. Accuracy is more important than speed.
    As for the ballistic tips, I am not sold on them. I know lots of people who swear by them, though. It depends on the brand and design of the bullet. I've tried them in factory and reloaded versions, and personally prefer the soft point for all around use. Some of the ballistics just do not perform as well at closer ranges, although there are some better ones available now. If you poll hunters, I suspect the average shot on a deer is probably somewhere around 100 yds or less, especially in the eastern half of the nation. At these distances, I personally don't see a benefit to the ballistic tips. However, I will say above all else: If the ballistics give you confidence that you will make a clean kill, then that is the one you should use.

4. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Im shooting a 30-06 savage 110. I got my info from the Modern Reloading manual by LEE. Powder is Reloder 15 and am using the 3.4cc lee dipper.
    Im using 150gr. Nosler ball. tip spitzers, the others are 150gr winchester pp.

Im looking to the ball. tips to give me an exit wound. Ive shot a couple nice bucks with the pp where the bullet has not exited. I still found them within 50 yards. To tell you the truth, the ball. were slighty more accurate, maybe 1/8inch. From what Ive been reading I think Ill use the pp in the woods and the ball. tips in the field.

I shot 10 of each today and man them deer are in trouble. I gotta agree though if i hit a deer with either it aint gonna matter much. My longest shot is about 200yds but the average is about 100 or a little less.

5. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've never used the Winchester power points. I'm using Hornady 150 gr BTSP intrlocks in my .06, and they really do a good job. I've tried the Nosler ballistic tips, but they didn't exit sometimes, at close range, just stopped under the skin on opposite side (at least what little was left), after striking rib bones, but they did a tremendous amount of damage to vital organs. To be fair, that could happen with a lot of bullets at that short distance, I guess, but I have made similar shots with the spire points and they just seem to hold together a little better. Now at longer ranges, I think the ballistics may have a little edge in accuracy, maybe even performance. I haven't done enough testing to say. I've used spire points for over 30 years, and I guess that's where my confidence lies. As I said earlier, a lot of my friends swear by the ballistic tips.

6. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Im pretty confident with either load, I really just bought the tips cause they look mean. Ive also been listening to friends about their 20-25$ a box shells and had to try em. Reloading made them much cheaper :D I think there may be a bigger difference with say a .243 or something. The 06 is a deer killing machine. Since Ive got em loaded I may as well shoot em, but next time I buy bullets ill stick with the powerpoints. Ive been using em for over 10 years.lol I tell ya it feels great to shoot what you loaded.

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    If your looking for an exit wound don't shoot the ballistic tip's. All there good for is making soup out of the insides pretty much. They will drop a deer real dang quick though. I have shot my fair share of deer with the ballistic's and will not shoot them ever again. Just give me a bullet that holds up any day.

8. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Ever noticed how many new fishing lures, reels, rods, etc come out each year? Or how many new hunting/shooting accessories? A lot of them are useful, but most of them are take-offs on something tried and true, designed to catch buyers and improve the bottom line of the companies that sell them. I enjoy the way some of my friends are hooked on their super-duper magnum rifles, but I still drop deer just as dead at the same ranges they do, with my tried & true 30.06. One of my sons-in-law owns a weatherby 7mm mag with the muzzle brake. Shoots real nice, but the noise is absolutely painful to anyone nearby without good ear protection. Anyway, he recently borrowed my grandson's .308 to shoot, and loves it!

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have a Rem 700 BDL in .270 and i wont use nothing but the winchester supreme silver ballistic tips in mine.Awsome stopping power and very accurate in my rifle i use the 130 gr.I hit a buck at 400 yards once and it just rolled him over,ive never had any run any further then ten to twenty yards at the most.alot of the time they will drop right in there tracks,great bullet.
    But one thing you want to do is practice with what your going to hunt with.Its not a good idea to zero your rifle in with one kind of ammo and hunt with another because they WILL shoot differently.

10. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    For you guys that are handloading for a 3006 try the bullet I load with.It's Hornady's 30cal 168 gr. B.T.H.P. National Match.I've killed many many deer with this bullet and I've never had to blood track one after I shoot it cause the deer is just about alwas laying where it was standing.It breaks up and uses up all the bullet energy and most times does not exit the deer and I've always had clean kills quick using this bullet.