Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out fishing yesterday on Lake Erie and saw a lot of gar swimming around. After a while they all joined together a couple of times and started rolling around near the surface. I figured they were breeding, but my question is: can you catch the gar on minnows or those hookless rope lures during this time? I know you're not going to catch them while they are all balled up and rolling around. But immediately before and after their "fish orgy" will they feed or take lures/baits? They wouldn't take the small minnows (3 inch max) I had at the time, suspended 2.5 feet below a bobber.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I guess I'll finish making this hookless lure with the rope. I may have the wrong rope or I am doing it wrong. Because it's taking a long time to unravel the rope. I am just using the piece of rope I found in the shed, it may be too tightly wrapped or too many small strands? I think I'll go to the hardware store tomorrow and see what I can find.
I saw a picture of a piece of wood with a large "V" cut into it and a dowel that holds the gars head while you unhook it. With my luck I am sure if I get both of these things done I won't see another gar.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.