Ball Lightening

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by orion_xxvx, Apr 14, 2008.

1. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I was fishing at Macon Lake several years back when there was a static discharge just above the tree line .....horizontally. Havent seen anything like it since.

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    The only electrical I want comes with a bill every month. Glad ya here to tell about it.

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Rob, I don't really know what you are talking about. Never seen that myself. Mom has always told a story about a ball of lightning coming down from a lightbulb hanging on a cord above a dinner table when she was a kid.

I guess the example must be that avatar of yours :tounge_out:.

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Years ago, I watched ball lightning come into my home, down the flue pipe. It came out through the space heater, hung in the air for a few seconds, then went right through the front door and outside. No, not through the doorway, through the door. No burn marks found on door, space heater or flue pipe. I can't explain any of it, but I did see it. No, there was no alcohol involved. Well, at least not that time. Yes, there was a storm going on at the time. The ball was about the size of a basketball, maybe a tad bit smaller.

5. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    I haven't seen the ball lightening myself but my uncle showed me where it hit the ground in his back yard and went all the way across his yard and hit a wire fence. It left a burned path all the way across his yard.

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    My Father always told me the story about when he was checking his cattle during a electrical storm. Lightning had hit an telephone line and made a bright orange ball that traveled for several yards down the line. He said it was the most craziest thing he had ever seen!!:crazy:

7. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I think it is a phenomena common on submarines. And since you all were jealous of my body radiating all that catpower i changed the avitar.:wink:

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    My mom told me about this when I was a little kid but I have never seen it.
    While it would be cool to see I think Ozzy has the right idea...W

9. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
  10. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    About 20 years ago, lightning hit my aunts little house and split the ridge on the roof. She was at the front door holding the aluminum screen door when it happened. Really lit her up. But after that her arthritis did not bother her any more. She was about 68 years old at the time.

I have seen lightning hit the water when I have been on the lake, Boy that is scary .

Before we built this house in 79, my dad and I were walking up here, so I could show him the building site. We started seeing lots of bark on the ground. About 6 trees were hit, all their tops came together and it traveled down them all. It killed 6 oak trees that were 2' or bigger around in one strike. LOL The area was probably 40 feet around. Impressive to say the least.

Don't believe I have ever seen ball lightning.

11. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I was in a house on top of a mountain in a bad lightning storm one time. It knocked the power out and we were sitting in the dark. It would strike in the yard and everything electronic in the house would come on for 1/2 a second and beep real loud. At the same time sparks would shoot out of the rececpticles. It was some scarry stuff.

Luckally I was 17 and intoxicated at the time so nothing could kill me.:big_smile::wink::crazy:

12. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    When I was a teenager, I saw lightning strike a tree across the road. Several "balls" of very white light about twice the size of a basketball came off the tree and bounced a couple of times before they disappeared. Never seen it since, and folks don't believe when I tell the story.

13. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    The lightening I saw was relitively quiet compared to normal lightening youd here a buzzing noise as it arced horizontally across tree tops for about 60 yards then round globes of energy coasted away perhaps 15 more yards then just disappeared! This happened twice and then was gone.