baldwin

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by riverrat85, Feb 22, 2008.

1. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    buds gotta work tomorrow so i wont be snow goose huntin. anyone wanna meet up and fish baldwin tomorrow morning. i dont know if im bringing the boat yet i might just fish off the bank. anyone wanna join theyre welcome to.

2. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I would have loved to, but have you even been outside? Are you CRAZY?! LOL

I will wait a couple more weeks until weather is cooperative.

3. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    forecast calls for 53 degrees on the 2nd

4. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Did you hit up Baldwin?

5. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    caught 3 nice cats. a 8# a 11# and a 6# all blues. a few smaller channels. gonna hit it again saturday as long as theres no hurrican force winds

6. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds like you had a fun time brother...I am a waiting on a little warmer weather myself...Looking forward to getting out though real soon...Kind of been catching up on the honey do list a bit...Put a new sink in the kitchen so wife should really love it when I drag in the first mess of fish and slap them down in the sink...lol

7. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    How big of a nightmare was it finding bluegill and shad? Man.. last time I was there was in January and it was down right hard to find bait.

8. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    not bad at all actually. i never fish with shad that often at baldwin mostly gills. just walk off the point by the boat ramp and cast along the rip rap off the bank. caught 10 nice baitsized gills without using 1 whole nightcrawler:wink: shad are easily found along the north levee along the rip rap also

9. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Ah, so the gills are coming back to the docks. Good to know. Was a real nightmare in Jan to find the gills.

10. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Yeah, Baldwin can be real hit or miss for both cats and bait. Some days we can get bait in 10 minutes, other times it takes over an hour :angry:

11. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I beg your pardon...you counting Brian twice...I know he is big but that is no way to talk he is sensitive you know...Brian should only be counted as an I...LMAO...:wink:

12. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Paul, I know he is quite sensitive. That's why I won't mention the fact that the reason we couldn't find bait is because he almost fell out of the boat and scared away all the baitfish.

13. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Ummm.. that wasn't me.. That was umm Bryan. :cool2:

14. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well, maybe in a round about way if say your "fish" was on the list as harvested for that time, maybe :eek:oooh: :smile2: :smile2:

15. FlatCatMan

FlatCatMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am going to try to make it to Baldwin today between two jobs I have. Can anybody give me a little advice on where to find bait and cats? I have never fished there, let alone been there. I guess it doesn't really matter, as long as I am on the clock and catching a couple fish :big_smile:

16. FlatCatMan

FlatCatMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well, I was able to make it out there for a few hours. I found bait, but thats about all I found. I ended up with 3 channels (bait sized) 3 bluegills (bait), and an 18" bass on a whole bluegill flathead rig sitting on the bottom. I think I am going to hit it again first thing tomorrow morning before I head back home. I am just not looking forward to the 1 mile walk to the discharge.

17. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    Jason - Without a boat, you will get your exercise. Not a good shore fishing lake. Try about half way down to the hot water discharge. Close to the porta-pottie and trash can, I haven't made the trip this winter, hopefully those are still there. If the wind is out of the N,NW the best method I have found is to put on a big round plastic bobber with about 7ft of of line below the bobber and a whole medium sized (4") bluegill. Take a knife and cut the dorsel fin out of the gill. It is tough to cast this rig. Try to get it in the current. Let it drift with the current. Make sure the current does not lift your bait to shallow. I work to poles usually with the other carolina rigged. It is always better in a boat. Good luck

18. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    i'm going tommorrow to see what i can catch from the bank.let you all know what i catch

19. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    let us know victor. good luck, bud

20. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    I WAS THERE FOR 3 HOURS AND ONLY CAUGHT TWO.I WATCHED THE GAME WARDEN BUSTED THREE GUYS FOR NO FISHING PERMIT. HERE 2 PICTURES OF MY FISH. IF ANYONE WAS WONDERING WHAT WAS STEALING THEIR BAIT.HERE THEY ARE.YOU'LL CATCH ALOT OF THESE BUT IT'S FUN AND STILL FISHING

Attached Files:

• 2B.jpg
      2B.jpg
      File size:
      60.9 KB
      Views:
    • 1B.jpg
      1B.jpg
      File size:
      30 KB
      Views: