Baldwin winter catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Bad_fisherman21, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I know it isnt yet but the catfishing is said to be better at baldwin during the winter so i was wondering what was the best bait/time to go.

2. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Use what you can and drift if you got a boat. Same baits as always, but they are often ahrder to get. Check around the warm discharge and should be able to locate some fish.

3. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    i would start now,if ur just getting used to the lake it might take u a while to find them,i have caught nice fish out of there every time we go but u can ask any one of these guys here, it aint easy.people think because u see nice fish from this lake u can just go out there and smash big fish all day long,na u have to work for them,as far as baits in that lake shad/bluegill for me.

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    i hear good things about that lake in the winter .

5. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Alands and myself fished it some last winter. The bite was slow, but we still brought in some good sized fish from that lake. I dont think the lake ever went below 50 degrees.

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Brian and Charlie are right. There are some really nice fish there but you have to work at it. I agree with using shad/bluegill. I am planning on trying Asian carp a lot this winter as well.

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Ya might want to check with the new VHS restrictions before hand with them asians, DNR is starting to work at hard at enforcing that one........... Eflow stuck a post here somewhere on VHS and Illinois DNR.......

8. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    Randy, I think Aaron uses them as cut bait. There isn't a restriction on that is there?

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well I have read this VHS virus warning alert list a couple times and still not 100% clear on it, but I can't say for sure, as it is worded about transporting and all that jazz...... Maybe this makes a bit more out of it.......

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94166

10. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Yes, I only use them as cut bait. I contacted a limnologist buddy of mine about this. He says as long as the fish are not alive, there should not be a problem.

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    That's good to hear Aaron, just trying to keep some of the newer regs out in the open, don't want to see anyone get an extra "bill" while out fishing.