baldwin tips?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bigBB, Jul 7, 2008.

1. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    hey guys, Myself and another brother spills.. are thinking about finally checking out baldwin on saturday. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Where to look for bait, general areas to drift etc. fyi.. we will be in a boat and probably arriving crack of dawn.

2. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    my son and I went over there for the first time on the 4th. The bite was slow but we still had a good day. He caught a 26 #, a 13 # and I caught two 6# and a 3. However, we went back today and got skunked. It was EXTREMELY hot and the water temp on the south end was 93!! Actually, we only got one good hit. We mainly fished the "shelves" and the structures. a good depthfinder is a must. Hope this helps.

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Right now, you can usually net some small gills at the docks.. but of course, that is illegal to net gills and you need to catch them by legal means :wink: Sometimes even net a nice shad there as well.

The gills I have found love the berkley maggots that you can get at Walmart for couple bucks for a little jar and it lasts forever. I catch the heck out of the gills there with that bait and a #8 light wire aberdeen gold hook.

4. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i would suggest early morning dip bait fishing.but there is a draw back of a lot of smaller ones.I havent caught anything over 4 pounds there but i are poor and dont have a boat.so i hope this helped but most likley not:wink:.also try some ginos for the bigger ones ive had a few people on boats tell me they catch bigger ones on that.:big_smile:Hope you guys have a good day.

5. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    thanks for the advice guys.. I guess it supposed to get pretty hot on Saturday, so hopefully we can do some good early.

Sounds like bluegill is the way to go.. but i will attempt to net some shad as well... badfisherman.. what exactly is a "gino"?

6. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Gino stinkbait.

Hoss Hawg and Secret 7 works good too at Baldwin if you want action. Never mind the fish are tiny... can't keep the little ones off that stuff.

7. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    a gino is a type of stink bait it looks kinda like stink bait mixed with hair its sold at a bait shop outside freeburg most baits shops would have it i asume.I think its like stink bait with some kind of ingredients that draw in bigger ones not sure but it works

8. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Ya.. i guess it is actually more of a punch bait. My mistake.

9. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    i'll try to pick up some ginos... you can never have to many options thats for sure. Is there a bait shop anywhere close to baldwin? Thanks again for all your reply's guys, sure gives a guy abit more confidence having some advice when heading to a new spot.

10. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Good luck out there. I hear good things about that lake. My motors to big to get on that lake. :embarassed:
    When I had a small jon boat I wanted to fish "BIG" waters, and now that I have a bigger boat, I want to fish the "small" waters. The grass is always greener on the other side I guess. :roll_eyes:

11. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    from what i have heard and learned about baldwin, dip bait will catch you a ton of fiddlers. i have never caught anything on baldwin smaller than 5 pounds and i have always used cut bluegill.

12. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    This has been my personnal experience with Catfishing in general, dip baits are great for dinks and good size eaters (2-3lbs) but I have never caught a nice size cat on stinkbait or dip baits because all the eaters and dinks get a hold of the line before the big ones even get a chance imho. The two times I have been out on Baldwin now I have caught nice fish off of cut bluegill.

13. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i read an article that said 80% of the time when any cats get over the 3 pound mark they are no longer opportunistic feeders and usually only go after live bait or cut bait.