Baldwin Report

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by alands94, Sep 14, 2008.

1. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Does anyone have a recent report on Baldwin? Fishing should start picking up soon.

2. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    thats what im thinking,here in about couple weeks water temp will drop some,might be what there waiting on,im hoping to get a baldwin trip here pretty soon.

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Went to Baldwin today for a little bit... got ran off by the rain. Was not prepared for heavy downpour when the forcast called for light sprinkle. Damn weathermen lying again!

The bluegill were hungry for those gulp maggots. THey were swallowing the hooks and took no more than 10 minutes to catch a dozen or so. Went drifting for a bit and did not get any bites from the cats.

Water temp was 86.

4. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I don't know much about Baldwin, never having been there, but I have read that when the wind picks up it can be a real bear. I understand it has a pretty healthy population of blues.

Are the reports I have read about this body of water accurate or can a guy safely put a small boat on this lake? I have two, one is 14ft and narrow, the other is 16 ft with a 42inch bottom. Both are pretty small when it comes to big waves. Just curious.

5. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    what you read about is true,its 1 big open square,no tree line around this lake,its wide open,any little wind hits that,its wavy.now if its windy i wouldnt even mess with it,white caps 5 foot will throw any boat around,but if u pick a decent day to go its 1 of the best lakes u can fish.

6. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    hit baldwin saturday as well.. we sat out the rain.. and did okay. We caught a lot of small fish, hard to keep the dinks off your hook. Big fish for the day was a 2-3 lb blue.

7. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    9-27

Went to Baldwin today and didn't do too bad. Caught only 5 worth keeping adn the biggest one was 14lbs. The picture is attached.... I think it is a blue cat, but I am not 100% sure anymore whether it was a blue or a channel.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

8. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    The more I read about this lake, the more I would like to give it a go sometime. I just gotta make sure it's a calm day.

Nice fish

9. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Looks like a CHANNEL to me Brian.

10. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I'm going out there on Oct. 4th, gonna fish hard all day and see what I can do. Anybody want to go?

11. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    9-28

Got my butt kicked today. Lack of wind made drifting a real nightmare. Fished from 730-100 and only got 3 keepers. My dad caught them all off of hot dog chunk. Shad and bluegill were not doing anything. We drifted south and north side and could not get them to cooperate. Fished shallow from 4ft to deep at 32 foot.

Water temp was 86 today, about 3 degrees warmer than yesterday. Little to no wave and very gentle breeze.

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian Congrats on a nice looking channel. WTG.

13. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    nice job,i know we will see more pics,its getting that time of year for these lakes again,nice job

14. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    ill be takin the boat to baldwin when im on leave around the end of november. cant wait!

15. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Oct 4

Cats were not too bad today. Caught a total of 8 keepers.. biggest probably around 7lbs. Fish were sitting kind of deeper today... catching a lot of them between 12-20' deep.

Water temp is down to 82.

16. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I have seen you post this question before, and I am hoping you continue to make this offer in the future. I am hoping to take you up on it when the schedule works. How did ya do??

17. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Had to work til noon.:angry: Got out there by 3:00 pm, fished until 8:30 and caught 5 Blues. 15, 11, 9, 4 and 3 lbs. Only had time to make 2 drifts. I'll post some pics tomorrow, i'm hittin' the sack.

18. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    40 percent in the double digits, not a bad day!!

19. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Here's a couple pictures!

Attached Files:

20. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    nice job,those r healthy looking fish,nice job on the time as well,5 1/2 hours, thats a great catch for the size of them fish.WTG.