baldwin report 3/7/2009

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bluecatnut, Mar 7, 2009.

1. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    went out to baldwin for a couple hrs. 315.pm -6:45 pm and had a good afternoon of fishing caught 3 down by the crapper on the levee 2 blues 10 lbs and 12 lbs then i reeled in a flathead only 12lbs but had a good time the wind kicked my but. i fished bout 20 yrds away from some other catters that had been their since 6 am and they didnt have a strike from a blue or a flat all day the blues were cought on cut channel and the flat was cought on cut bluegil

2. Stujoe

Stujoe New Member

State:
    Belleville, IL
    Sounds good. I am planning on getting out there for a bit sometime this week if the weather complies.

Where is this 'crapper' and levee 2 that you talk about? I am trying to get an idea of where you are fishing. I have only fished Baldwin twice (and am bank fishing only) and was on the North side of the lake (probably about the middle of the north side.

Is that even close to a good spot or do I need to go down further or am I on the wrong side?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

3. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    the first parkin lot park their and its about a half mile walk and once u see the crapper walk past it about 40 yrds then cast straight out as far as u can cast i was catchin my fish about 150 yrds out and i was usin channel cat gut pockets

i hope this help

4. Stujoe

Stujoe New Member

State:
    Belleville, IL
    Thanks for the tips. I will see if I can get out there sometime this week.

I can't be positive but looking at your avatar photo, I might have seen you out there the first time I went to Baldwin. It would have been late Sept last year.

I know someone walked by me with a cart and some big poles in it and said hi. Might have been someone else, though, of course.

One other thing...What time do they open up the gate there?

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the report sounds like a good day of fishing, way I look at is even if you have a bad day of fishing it still beats a hard day at work anyday, hopefully this year will be a productive year.

6. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    was it a double stroller yep it sounds like me they open at 600 but sometimes u can catch them early :cool2:

maybe sometime we can wet a line and i will show u some tips about baldwin wish i was out their today :eek:oooh:

7. Stujoe

Stujoe New Member

State:
    Belleville, IL
    Sounds good. Hopefully, I will be staying in this area. I just retired from the AF last week so in between job hunting, interviews, etc, I plan to be out doing some fishing.

The first time I went to Baldwin I caught one nice cat - for me anyway - a few pounds. But that was the only decent one I caught. I had one pole just catching small ones to pass the time and there was no shortage of those.

8. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    just curious what type of setups r u usin i would sugest 20 lb line and up and a good stout rod u never know when that monster of baldwin will slam ur rod

9. Stujoe

Stujoe New Member

State:
    Belleville, IL
    I have an ugly stick (white catfish one) with a (probably not a sturdy enough) Abu Garcia 104 spinning reel and 15 lb test line. Never really fished anywhere that the odds of catching over a couple pound channel was realistic so I imagine I would be in trouble if I hit into a really big blue or flathead with the setup.

When I was out at Baldwin before, I was fishing with the little channels cut up and on the bottom with a slip sinker about a foot or so up the line and throwing it as far as I could.

I had a couple of good bites but this was the only one I caught that was bigger than the tiny ones I was fishing for with the other pole. He went right back in after I snapped a quick picture.

2008-09-22-10h51m42.jpg

I know he is small compared to what I see here but I'd be happy catching that size all day...but a larger one would be nice and something I have never caught before.

10. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    that set up should work if u let the rod and reel do the work for you and just set the drag and you should be safe well i am headin out to baldwin in 20 mins will report more tonight when i get back

11. Stujoe

Stujoe New Member

State:
    Belleville, IL
  12. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    went out this afternoon with a buddy to the secret squirel hole not on the levee and cought one on cut catfish a blue about 8-10lbs but nothin else

13. Stujoe

Stujoe New Member

State:
    Belleville, IL
    Ones always better than none!

14. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    yeah it is the wind was rippin had to throw 6 oz of lead just to get a good cast but i really can't wait to get my 14 fter baldwin ready thinkin about puttin a 25 or a 30 not sure yet

15. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent

Was that before or after the tornado's went through :smile2: maybe why your line wasn't casting as far too :eek:oooh:

don't remember the time but they were showing one just west of the lake, headed right for it.... and of course the one just south of Carlyle, made for a "choppy" ride :smile2:

16. Stujoe

Stujoe New Member

State:
    Belleville, IL
    Yeah it was windy as heck here today. Sirens went off a couple of times but nothing near us.

17. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    hey arn't those sirens a dinner bell for those big cats.:smile2:

18. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    How big do the cats get in Baldwin Lake? Thanks

19. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    dave i have seen 70+ blues and flats come out of baldwin
    the biggest i seen cought was 80 lbs and came of the point by boat ramp

20. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I have pulled a 27lb flat and 20lb blue and 16lb channel out of baldwin last year.