Baldwin Lake This Saturday

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by alands94, Jul 6, 2007.

1. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Anyone want to meet up and fish Baldwin Saturday (tomorrow)?

2. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I'll be there! I'm taking the boss's son with me. I've been telling him all year that I would. We'll be drifting in a white Lund V-bottom. Look us up if your there.

3. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    You bet! Will you be drifting the south end?

4. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Gonna make one drift on the north end to see if they are there. Mostly due to the fact that it's almost snag free. If no luck, I'm headin for deeper water!

5. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Aaron, did you make it today?
    We pulled out 4 Blues. 17 lbs. 10 lbs. 5 lbs. and 3 lbs. The water temp was 97-101 degrees. Just a little steamy.

Here are a few pics.

Attached Files:

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Kevin, those are some nice cats! No, I didn't make it. A buddy of mine bailed late last night and I don't yet feel comfortable taking the boat out on my own (I've only had it out once). At least I got to work on my 'honey-do list' :roll_eyes: I might try to make it out one day this week to Baldwin or Carlyle. Then I'll go to the Rend Lake gathering on Friday and Saturday.

7. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Hey Bros,

Just found this forum and it's a beaut. I live in Belleville, so pretty close to Baldwin. I bank fished there once and pulled out tons of little cats... some I do not even know how I hooked them they were so small!

Never caught a 'large' cat before. I am brand new to fishing... so my knowledge is pretty poor to say the least. All I ever done was toss a nightcrawler on any hook and a sinker, toss it out and watch the tip!

Looking forward to learnign how to really catch some catfish! My father just got a boat, so we both are starting to learn. Both pretty newbie HAHA! We have a G3 with a 90hp, which it looks like won't be allowed on that lake! Kind of disheartening to get a brand new boat and not be able to use it on the closest lake!

8. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Welcome to the BOC! I just sent you a PM.

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    can you get big blues from the bank in that lake

10. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Thanks for the PM! I will respond to it as soon as I get those 10 posts in! And it sounds great to get together sometime.

I am still amazed that Baldwin has a 50hp limit on the engine. Really makes me wonder if I can get away with the 90 we have without any trouble :eek:oooh:.

Baldwin is so much closer than Rend lake for me!

11. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Yes, you can catch monster blues from the bank. From my experience and from what others have told me, your best bet of catching a big blue from the bank is during winter. In the northwest corner, fish congregate at the hot water outlet. I've had good luck bank fishing during winter from the porta potty (halfway down the levee) all the way down to the discharge. I bring a garden cart to carry my stuff, because it is a pretty long walk!

12. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    What do you fish with from the bank?

13. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    For blues, I like live or cut shad and cut bluegill. For flatheads, live bluegill. I've heard that some people use small channels for the flatheads, too.

14. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Beautiful... when we meet up... you will have to teach me how to catch shad and use them! Time for you to be my teacher! haha

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian I use to fish Baldwin when it had a 10 hp limit. Most of us loved the new limit of 50 hp. No don't try to use that 90hp or you will find yourself with a stiff fine. Find a buddy that has a 50 hp or under. Let him take you to Baldwin and you take him to a larger lake. Just :big_smile:an idea.

16. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I actually would not have attempted it! :smile2:

The power of text... hard to read sometimes!

17. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Good point. I don't know what the fine is, but I've heard it's pretty hefty. I have a 15' with a 25 hp - perfect for 2 people at Baldwin! I'm up for going out next week. I know Tuesday won't work, but another day probably would.

18. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Hopefully I will bump into you this weekend at Rend and we can talk about it! I am going to be at Hickman's Point more than likely the entire weekend... unless I am in the boat!