Baldwin lake question

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by riverrat85, Jul 21, 2007.

1. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    Recently i was at baldwin lake drifting in the 30 foot holes when i noticed that the fish were sittin in around 15 to 18 foot of water rather than towards the bottom. is there a reason for that?? is the water ready to turn over???? i only caught fish in shallower water but the deep water was loaded with bigguns but just not on the bottom for driftin. would maybe a slip bobber work for that????

2. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I really do not know.... it has been warm, so the oxygen levels down deep might be less? Just a guess on my part... I am not knowledgable about this stuff.

3. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Not exactly sure why that would be, but my guess would be the thermocline. Like Brian said, there may be insufficient amounts of oxygen that deep. Next time I hit Baldwin I will try setting a slip float at about 15 feet in that 30 foot water to see what happens. I know of a guy who trolls crankbaits in the deeper water in Baldwin during fall for hybrid stripers and has hooked some huge cats. These were fish suspended in the deeper water. I'll let you know what I discover.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Aaron your right on target with that answer. Fish have a comfort zone and oxygen plays an important part of it.I think the slip float will work. Hang on and good luck.:wink:

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Fished Baldwin today with my wife - we tried suspending baits at 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25 feet in 30 feet of water - no luck except for a couple of dinks. I had my best luck in the 10-15 foot transition zone from shallow flats to deep water. No biggies, but some decent eaters.

6. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Aaron, were they channels or blues?

7. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    One blue about 4#, the rest were channels. All caught on live or cut shad.

8. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    fished baldwin again yesterday with a slip bobber. notta thing. not even a bite. that lake continues to stump me.

9. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Aaron and I went out there in his boat and we did quite well... at least with catching small stuff. I pulled in a 3lb bass and 3.5lb channel from there. I was using the shiners Aaron netted out of there where the Kaskaskia pours in.

10. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thank you all for these interesting post I am learning allot from you all...

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Aaron what was your depthfinder showing? Where the fish still suspended or had they settled back to the bottom? Sounds like they were hanging on the shelfs. When this happens keep one of your lines in the deeper side, The big boys should be there.:smile2:

12. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Mickey:
    My finder was showing some suspended fish, but I'm assuming they were schools of shad, maybe even crappie? since I didn't get anything when I suspended baits at those depths. I think you are right - they were hanging out on the bottom in the 10-15 foot transition zone. The general strategy during the summer at Baldwin is usually to fish on the bottom in the deep holes. They must be in shallower water due to the lack of oxygen in the deeper water. I hope to hit the lake again this weekend. If I figure anything else out, I will share with group.:roll_eyes:

13. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Shame on you Aaron for ignoring my PM! :sweet_kiss:

14. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    HUH!?!?:crazy: I must be missing something......

15. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    baldwin lake is tricky but i have been sucessful from bank in the last few weeks i have caught a c ouple of 15-20 lb fish all from bank the key if to use
    their main food source witch i found out to be is bluegil and the way i cut them is alot different than most catters i like to use 5'in or smaller and i only make 1 cut i start my cut at the meaty part of the head and follow the spine to the tailfin and make a horizontal cut down right behind their anus the guts remain intack inside where the little dinks can't get to them to easy wait til october and you will tear them up right now about 7 pm anchor up at the 42 foot hole and throw bigger bloodier baits we use silver carp and wrap the gut pocket with panty hose and you should beat ur pb blue the flat i found follow the crappie and in winter drift the flats on the hot water side down by the handicap platio drift one rather large live shad and one blue cut cut or live have seen 50's pulled out with this method and bigger winter time the blue cats will be near the bridge again thow big bloody bait and the MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO KEEP UR BAIT FRESH I CHANGE MINE EVERY 25 MINS BUT THROWING IN THE SAME AREA

i hope this helps just pm me if u want to fish illinois hidden secret for catfish :big_smile::big_smile: