Baldwin lake hours?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by hock_paul, Jun 16, 2009.

1. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    I was thinking about running out to Baldwin for a few hours after work sometime this week and was wondering what their hours were? I tried calling 3 times today, but no one was home.:confused2: Also, is it fairly easy to catch shad there, or would a back-up plan be a good idea? I know a few of you guys go there quite often and any help would be much appreciated. THANKS!:wink:

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Baldwin Lake Hours:
    Jan. 1 - Feb. 15: 8 a.m.—4 p.m.
    Feb. 16 - April 15: 6 a.m.—7 p.m.
    April 16 - Oct. 31: 6 a.m.—9 p.m.
    Nov. 1 - Dec. 31: 8 a.m.—4 p.m.

As for shad, I would try around the boat ramp or at the water intake on the south end of the lake. You can also catch bluegill along the rocks pretty much anywhere in the lake. Good luck!

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Shad has been a real pain in the ass for me to locate lately. I sometimes will get them at the boat ramp. Otherwise, check the areas where the water dumps in from the Kaskaskia on the southwestern<?> corner of the lake. Otherwise, you can try and get some in the warm water discharge on the Northeastern corner. If all of those areas fail... I say, hope you got a back up plan. :crazy:

4. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Thanks a lot guys! I may be heading there this weekend for dads' day too, I'll let you know how it went.:wink:

5. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Well good luck Paul its been tuff all over it seems . Maybe it will be better by this weekend . Watch out for snakes . I was at Baldwin lake a few weekends ago and seen a few fat snakes .

As far as shad , there is a place in baldwin you can get them in the river . Here is directions . As you are leaving baldwin lake make a right and head into baldwin . when you get to the highway in baldwin make a right go to the end of town headed west about 2 miles you will see a boat ramp sign before the bridge make that right . There is 2 docks at the boat ramp shad are always there at the end of the docks 5 to 8 inches .

6. USNTWEEK

USNTWEEK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Are those two boat docks and ramp open to the public. If so any good fishing in that area of the river. That is the Kaskaskia I'm assuming. Thanks!!

7. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Yes, they are public, but as far as good fishing I have never tried. I usually head out in the boat.:0a22:

8. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Well Paul... how did you do?

9. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Well my friend Dan and I headed to Baldwin lake yesterday to scout out the fishin' because I wanted to take my dad today. I haven't fished there in almost ten years, but Brian and Aaron said they go there and usually catch nice fish. We initially started out for flatties, but after 2 hours without a pickup, we caught shad and decided to try for some bluecats. We fished for them from 9:00 till noon and caught five fish, none of which were under ten lbs. with the biggest weighing 15lb.-4oz. Not a whole lot of fish, but size makes up for numbers in my book!:wink: I took my Dad out today, we put in at 8:00(my dad's not much of an early riser!), caught five shad about 10'' long, chunked them up in three pieces and started drifting. I caught the first and only fish I would catch today, not real big, but a nice one. My dad then caught 3 more fish-all much bigger, with one weighing 21lb.-3oz. and the biggest at 24lb.-6oz.!:big_smile: These fish were twice, maybe three times bigger than anything else that he had caught before in his life. The smile on his face could'nve gotten any bigger and he must've thanked me fifty times on the way home. It was a day well, well spent and one that I'm sure my dad won't soon forget!
    We caught all of our fish on the cold-inlet side of the lake on flats in between 13 and 7 feet. The problem we had on Saturday was that we were constantly getting snagged on wood on the bottom. After getting tired of that, we tied on Thill 4'' big fish slider slip floats with an egg sinker above the swivel and a 10/0 mustad demon circle hook underneath, with the float set at 6'-7'. With this setup we didn't get hung once and caught all of our fish but one. All fish caught this weekend were released after a quick photo and weight measurement. Thanks again to Brian and Aaron for the information on the lake and the talk of big fish at the gathering. Without you guys, I still would'nt know what I'd been missing.:wink:

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    whats the chances of getting big blues from the bank, at baldwin, its a long drive, were would i fish,im sick of the miss, now,

11. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Paul,

Glad you were able to spend a successful Father's Day with your dad. Yeah, the south side is definitely more snaggy than the north side. There is some old fill and tire cribs on that end. Brian and I have tried floats a few times there without any luck. But after your report,we might have to try it again!

12. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Well dangit, where are the photos!

I really hate fishing the south side... I never seem to have any luck whatsoever. Most of the fish I catch are on the north side drifting.. but I keep being told that the big ones are on that southside. Just need to put in more and more time there I guess until I get the bigger boys. :big_smile:

Glad you had good fishing... it has been horrible lately. Looks like the fishing might be back on now that the temperatures are 100 degrees. :crazy:

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    whats the odds of pulling a 40 or over out from the bank in a 2 day trip and were should i go on the lake to get to them

14. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Given I have yet to pull a 40lber out of the small lake myself.. I would say not good.

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i hear they pull big ones out all the time

16. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    I'm gonna try to post some photos tomorrow, but every time I've tried it tells me they're too big(I'm not very pc savvy:eek:oooh:). As far as getting to where you can catch big ones from the bank, I know that the south side that I was fishing on has no bank access because it's owned by the power company. The people that were fishing from the bank this weekend weren't catchin' diddly squat. I think you're best bet would maybe be when it gets cooler out in the fall. The north side is all accessable by bank fisherman and that's where the hot water discharge is. But like I said, this was the first time I've fished the lake in 10 years. I do know there are some monster flats in there, catching them is another story though. I think you have to fish with an ultralight spinning outfit and a spinnerbait to catch a flat on lakes in Illinois!:angry:

17. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    them blues are just a boat fish, they hate shallow water ,unless the lakes the same deaph like powertone, its the northern baldwin

18. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Here are the pics from yesterday!:big_smile:

Attached Files:

19. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Those are fantastic fish!