Baldwin Lake blue catfish!!

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catmankev, May 12, 2007.

1. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Had another Great day at Baldwin. We caught 12 more Blues between 4 lbs. and 14 lbs. Managed to net eight 10" shad and caught about 8 bluegills for back-ups. Only made 5 drifts, all but 1 produced fish. The lake had very thick fog til about 9:00 am, cleared off nicely though.:big_smile: Forgot my dang camera but the guy that went with me had his. I'll post some pics monday when he brings my copies.

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Congrats on the great day and thanks for the update! Which end of the lake were you fishing? Were you using a drift sock? I plan on hitting Baldwin super hard this summer.

3. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Fished the north end the last two trips. Always use my drift sock, never leave home without it. (YET!) Water temp was 95 degrees today, up almost 20 degrees from 2 weeks ago.:confused2:

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    95!? WOW! :eek:oooh: I have a drift sock from Cabelas that I've used a few times on a rental boat at Reelfoot. Hope to buy a bare bones 17' Jonboat soon!

5. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Can fish 3 out of mine. Anytime you would like to join us, let me know.

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I appreciate the offer, brother. I am swamped the next 2 weeks, but after that I would love to go catch some big cats. I'll PM you once my schedule clears up.

7. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Just send me a PM!!!:wink:

8. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Here's a few pics of the first Blues that New Member ( ron h ) caught on his very first outing!:big_smile: I think I've got him HOOKED! So please welcome him to the family.

Attached Files:

9. jsk30

jsk30 New Member

State:
    NC
    Nice lookin fish.Thanks for sharing

10. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    This is a pic of the 14 pounder he caught!

Attached Files:

11. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    heck,with the river i'm heading to the lakes now.:lol:

12. howards

howards Member

State:
    IL.
    I live 90 miles south of that lake and never fish it...I just have to get up there someday.

13. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You caught quality fish at Baldwin??????? Man - I fished that lake a thousand times back when I was nothing but a bass fishing fool, and I NEVER heard of anyone hitting decent sized cats good on Baldwin. You could fill a cooler with the 8 inch bloated stinkers.

That is amazing! I almost think I must be reading this wrong! Good for you guys! That ROCKS!!

So - Baldwin is still a 50 HP limit lake, right? :wink: Being I can't get my 90 Merc on the lake, that tip has come to me about 10 years too late.

14. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Still 50 HP limit. If you want come along sometime let me know!

15. ron h

ron h New Member

State:
    st peters mo
    i fished this lake with catmankev and caught my biggest cat which was 14 lbs. had a great time with him

16. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    It is true that Baldwin is filled with little bait stealers. You can, however, catch some HUGE fish using large shad or bluegill (live or cut). I have my best luck at Baldwin during the dead of winter.

17. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thank you for sharing...looks like some good eating!!!

18. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    theres an article in the Il. game and fish mag that says 40-50 lbers are caught there often.Yet to break 40 there.:angry:

19. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I wanna go....smiling ear to ear.....

20. fishinnstudyin

fishinnstudyin New Member

State:
    MO
    what time is baldwin open? or is it only the winter time when they have an open and close time?