Baldwin Lake 2/11/07

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by alands94, Feb 7, 2007.

1. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I'm planning on hitting Baldwin Lake this Sunday and trying out my new KatBobbers. Will post results (and hopefully pics!).

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    No luck today. Caught a few small channels, but nothing else. One guy claims to have caught a 40 lb. blue last week. The good news is that the Looper Rigs worked great! They really hold the bait - dip, paste, punch, it doesn't matter. Unfortunately the fish wouldn't cooperate. :sad2: The Kat Bobber held and presented live and cut bluegill perfectly. It was still a good day to get out and try my new equipment, test my reels, etc. I will try again in 2 weeks and post results.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Aaron it is good to hear that you were able to get out and try out your equip.Any day on the water is a great day even if you don't catch the big one. One thing about Baldwin it probably holds the fish of your dreams. Best of luck in 2007.:lol:

4. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Arron . A little tip for you. I have heard that when at Baldwin to catch the blues you need to get as close to the discharge area as possible. The big blues like the current coming out of the hot water discharge, Good luck.

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Tim - thanks for the info. That is correct. I've had my best luck at the warm water discharge, too. I tried several spots yesterday without any luck. Hopefully next time will be better.

6. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Aaron,
    I'll be headin' out to Baldwin as soon as the weather permits. We've had pretty good luck there in the last year or so. If you'd like to come along some time, we'll try to show ya how we catch em. Providing the fish cooperate!:tounge_out:

7. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Kevin:
    Thanks for the offer. I'll have to take you up on it sometime soon. I will probably try again tomorrow morning. The gates are now opening at 6 AM, so I'll try to fish till noon. Will post results.

8. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would like to make the long journey down there myself sometime. I was just curious to what kind of cats are in there. I would probably go even if it were just channels, but if there were blues that'd kick me in the butt a bit to go down there

9. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Baldwin has a BUNCH of small channels along with decent numbers of HUGE blues and flatheads. If you do plan on coming down a specific date, post here and I'm sure several brothers will show you the ropes.

10. fishinnstudyin

fishinnstudyin New Member

State:
    MO
    Generally can big catfish be caught on the banks? I went out several times using cut up shad, live bluegill, live shad, cut up bluegill, cut and live channel catfish, but I didn't pull anything in. I got several bites, but that could've been from the dinkers yanking on my bait. Usually I fish around the parking lot, the outhouse or the FAR corner beyond the outhouse. Am I supposed to just launch the bait out or do I also have the bait close in? I've varied the distance of my bait and I have literally slowly inched down and back the entire length of that lake during the winter time. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or do I just need access to a boat to get to the good honey holes?? When I come back home from Springbreak on March 16th, I definetely will be hitting up Baldwin for the big cats, b/c I can't think of any other place with access to big cats. I'm unfamiliar to bank fishing off the mississippi and missouri and i dont know anything about Carlyle Lake, so that just leaves Baldwin. Is the fishing still good around the middle of March?

11. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Not much luck this morning. The lake was white capping and the wind was brutal. Managed a 5# blue at the warm water discharge, nothing else. Left after 3 hours.