Baldwin flathead catfish bit

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bluecatnut, Nov 12, 2006.

1. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i just wanted to let y'all know that the flathead bite is picking up on whole shad slip down the sides

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    OL'DRC and a few others will be glad to hear that Dusty!!! This is news they need, Thanks Buddy!!!

3. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Were you fishing from the bank?

4. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    went for 5 hrs. this afternoon bank fished with crawlers and 4 dozen shiners , brought in the usual dink channels .
    i had 1 run that i missed as i was in the motions of tieing a hook on my second pole. later i caught a small gill and a medium sized gill, i put the small one on a large circle and scuffed his side near the tail and put a couple slits in the area.
    he sat over 2 hours without a bite and i moved it still nothing after a half an hour so i sliced him up longways from the belly to tail and i started getting bites on him i think it was a turtle though as i pulled him in and the shreds were gone.
    it was a windy day but it was nice and felt good to be fishing again.
    we need to get the boat ready.

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Thanks for the report. I like to hit Baldwin when it gets down below freezing. It's one heck of a walk to the hot water discharge in the NE corner, but well worth it!

6. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    yeah im gonna get me either a yard wagon/cart or rig up a pneumatic tired handtruck to haul the gear down there this winter.
    might see you down there some weekend.

7. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    You bet! I use a garden wagon from Lowe's. I use bungee cords to hold all of my equipment down. It works quite well.

8. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    my son and brotherinlaw laughed at my comment today about getting a cart or wagon setup , but after they carried there gear a little ways i think they realized my idea wasnt so goofy afterall, i also seen about 4 others fighting holding there gear on little hard wheeled
    grocery carriages and the lawn cart with airup tires seems like a hands down better choice.
    you can get all your gear there without fighting it and that would make the difference in a good fishing trip and a great fishing trip !!!!