baldwin carps

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Bad_fisherman21, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    anyone know if the carp will bite on sweet corn.If not what will they bite on.

2. TccaAl

TccaAl New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They should bite on sweet corn, however, I catch alot of carp on Powerton lake using regular canned corn. I also put anise oil in the corn to make it smell like licorice and also put in red food coloring to turn it a pink to red color. It seems that the red corn with anise oil will out catch the regular corn on most day. With both lakes being cooling lakes I would think the fish should react in a similar fashion.

I would also use a small kahle hook (like a 6,8,or 10) and the absolute least amount of weight you can get away with. I have found over the years that carp don't like to feel a bunch of weight or resistance.

My favorite rig is a number 8 eagle claw fine wire Kahle hook, small swivel, and a small split shot about three foot above the swivel. I also use 10 lb cajun line.

Hope this helps.

3. Bad_fisherman21

State:
    illinois
  4. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    So I heard Baldwin water temps hit triple digits again? Good Lord... that is nasty. Anyone verify and how is it affecting the fish?

5. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    The News Democrat had the report @ 100 degrees and said the fishing was spotty for all species at best! It also said that there wer'nt too many anglers fishing it AMEN TO THAT BROTHER! I'll be checking it out this fall though!:big_smile:

6. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    What do you guys fish for carp for? Do you just like the sport of it, or are you eating them? :confused2: I just don't know, not trying to be smartarse. :tounge_out:

7. Jenni Belle

Jenni Belle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    LOL! I hope no one really enjoys eating carp! :misdoubt:

8. TccaAl

TccaAl New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fish for carp mostly just for fun. However, I will occasionally use them for bait and you can also make "poor man's shrimp" out of it and it really isn't that bad tasting. Not walleye for sure, but not too bad.

9. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Nothing wrong with eating carp if caught from cool waters and properly taken care of.

Here in the USA they have gotten a bad rep, and people turn there noses up at them. But in Europe they are one of their most prized gamefish.

#1 top selling fish in New York City the last I heard was Carp. Ever hear of Gefilte fish?

Big Carp are smart, sneaky, mostly not fished for, and abundant, and will give you a world class fight on light tackle.

Many of you have heard of the world class Channel Cats we raise here on the Red River of the North. Well I am finding out it is just as world renowned as a trophy carp fishery.

CPR them, save a small one for catfish bait, or just leave them alone, as long as you don't throw them on the bank and make a mess I don't care. :)

10. Bad_fisherman21

State:
    illinois
    lol i wanna catch carps while im waiting for a big catfish to take my cuttbait

11. Jenni Belle

Jenni Belle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    :smile2:

12. Bossofbeefbowl

Bossofbeefbowl New Member

State:
    Hanover Park,IL
    I always bring two poles with me when I fish.One for whatever I'm actually going for and one sitting on the bottom for carp or whatever.It's always fun to catch something,even it is just a carp.

13. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I still have yet to catch a carp.... is there snagging season time for Carlyle?

14. Jenni Belle

Jenni Belle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've always been told that the first frost is the best time to go carp fishing but I seem to catch them all year! :angry:

15. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I would think sweet corn would work . Or a strawberry or vanilla dough bait.

16. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Well you out do me Jeni, I haven't caught one yet. I need my boy Aaron Lands to teach me his wise ways. Without illegal activity! LOL

17. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Hey Brian - I've got a freezer full of carp concoctions ready to go. Illegal? Is there any other way? :wink::smile2:

18. Pipe Rat

Pipe Rat Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fished a carp tournament years ago at clearwater lake and it was a blast on light tackle. We used corn for bait.

19. TccaAl

TccaAl New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would agree that carp are a blast on light tackle. I go to Powerton Lake once or twice every summer specifically to catch carp. I let em go but have fun catching them.

20. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    American carp are good eating if prepared right. Never tried those Asian carp, Just don't look very appetizing to me.